Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too young for a bone?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi again, I'm thinking about giving my sibe pup (16 weeks) one of the large bones from the butchers to munch on, but I'm worried about her little teeth and if they would be damaged or broken while she tucks in to the meaty bone.

I know some people advocate giving bones early in life, but is 16 weeks too soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

When i think of what my dog used to chew on, its amazing he had any teeth at all. Constantly chewed on rocks, destroyed a fir tree, tried it on the kitchen leg table and i was worried about giving him a bone. When you think of it most of the things they chew on are hard.

Try her with a marrow bone, Aldi are selling them. I scoop out most of the marrow as it tends to give the runs. Just make sure you keep a close eye on her. A bone will reduce the tendancy to chew other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

I have a sibe too, she just over four months now, been giving her bones since three months and she loves them so far no problems,

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

oki-doki I'll grab a few ribs at the butchers next time I'm up, thanks for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

I'd go for something other than ribs, tendancy to break or shatter and then easily swallowed. Steer away from lambs bones, they also splinter. The leg bone (postmans leg) is much tougher, monster of a bone. But again a marrow bone i found better, seems to last longer.

Advertisement