Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weird noises on roof

• 21-12-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ok so on Sunday morning I was awoken by some very strange, very loud noises on the roof of my house (I sleep on the top floor so my ceiling is the roof, so it was directly above me) I don't know how to describe the noises besides how I have to family: "like a very heavy animal having a seizure without vocalising it" - basically something was thrashing about up there, for about an hour. This included scratching, thumping, knocking,dragging, all sorts of noises. It was very loud, it was moving all around the roof and I didn't imagine it, because when my mam went out to see could she see onto the roof (she couldn't) she could hear it too from the back garden.

That day after about an hour (the hour that I was awake, dunno how long this was going on before it woke me), it stopped besides the odd thump or scratch, but this has continued and these varied noises are still happening, just not as loudly or for as long as the first time (though they were quite bad last night. SO! There is something on my roof. Now. It could be anything. I'd like for it to be an angel, but it could be an alien. More likely though, it's an animal (with no vocal chords??)

My problem is, we can't see onto the roof to see what's going on, and we don't own a helicopter.. Does anyone know what the protocol would be with animal services or whatever to figure out what's going on up there, or anyone had a similar problem? This is bewildering me an awful lot, especially the thought of something suffering so near me without me doing anything about it
    Let me know what I should do if you have any thoughts, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

too early for santa :D, could of been a crow of some kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thebla

it's still there though..

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

sure its on the roof and not in the attic space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thebla

We don't have an attic, the ceiling above me is the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

If there is a cavity (which there has to be unless you are sleeping under
    the actual roof tiles) it could be in between your ceiling and the tiles, and
    my suspicions would be a rat, can you hear any "gnawing" sounds or just
    thumps? If it is just thumps I would go with crows they can make a right
    racket just by hopping about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement