Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to learn/do to improve job prospects?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone :)

I`m rightly sick of all the dole recipient bashing going on here and wanted to do something constructive so I thought maybe for my own and others information we could think of things to learn or do that would help peoples job prospects.

Obviously preferably free.

As I have dyslexia I would welcome practicle suggestion that don`t involve too much reading such as free computer related course and advise about which area would be best or really any area where people feel job prospects may be good or improving. Or possibly languages which may be particularly beneficial. Or some people have suggested writing books so maybe free writing courses etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You could try be a god walker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Here's some handy tips I've picked up over the years:
    • Have a wash before an interview.
    • Don't stare at interviewer's breasts constantly throughout an interview.
    • Don't chew gum or drink gin during an interview.
    • Belching, while considered a compliment post-meal in some countries, is frowned upon almost globally during an interview.
    • "Balls deep in Bibi Baskin!" is not an appropriate response to the question, "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

One of the biggest industries over the next few years will be the agri-food industry - especially if the move by the EU & US to ban countries from exposing restrictions on food exporting comes about.

Ireland's food export industry is huge at the minute & looks likely to keep increasing over the coming years.

So, just buy a few sheep, a plot of land & some wellies & you'll be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Chef?

....loads of cooking programmes on TV and internet videos etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Learn to speak Canadian or Australian.
    Then emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Grow a pair of T*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

One of the biggest industries over the next few years will be the agri-food industry - especially if the move by the EU & US to ban countries from exposing restrictions on food exporting comes about.

Ireland's food export industry is huge at the minute & looks likely to keep increasing over the coming years.

So, just buy a few sheep, a plot of land & some wellies & you'll be sorted.

Whilst the progress that the agri food sector has made is commendable it is blown out of proportion, it is also highly unlikely that it will ever be the scale you say. Pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical products made up 55% of our material exports in the first 6 months of the year.

OP make sure your cv is in good nick, know how to write a cover letter. Personalise each application, showing that you have an interest in the company.

Look at areas that you might not have previously considered. If you're good enough you'll get the job you want eventually through dumb luck and convenient timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

wear your underpants inside out during the interview, it's never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if you are going for an office job learn some basic VB, claim it can save time and money in some of the processes like editing spreadsheets etc.

actually same goes with excel, learn as much as you can now (enough to bluff for a few weeks) and promise them the world.

try and get on a FAS course and be there everyday and treat it like a job and use them as a refernce after. there should be good linkage between local business and FAS so they will recommend you (its how i got a job)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If ive learned anything from the Simpsons its that if you change your name to something cool people will like you better.

Possible examples include: Zane Coolson, Max McAwesome, Dude O'Hellsyeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

bleg wrote: »
    Whilst the progress that the agri food sector has made is commendable it is blown out of proportion, it is also highly unlikely that it will ever be the scale you say. Pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical products made up 55% of our material exports in the first 6 months of the year.

OP make sure your cv is in good nick, know how to write a cover letter. Personalise each application, showing that you have an interest in the company.

Look at areas that you might not have previously considered. If you're good enough you'll get the job you want eventually through dumb luck and convenient timing.
    Lots of patents running out soon for pharmaceuticals though.
    Agriculture is a fairly safe bet with more and more mouths to feed. In addition, Ireland can produced much more than whats currently being exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I learnt how to build a small private army and attach laser beams to sharks heads, I'm waiting on a second interview from the League Of Evil any day now, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

OP cover yourself in poo and give the interviewers big hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

krudler wrote: »
    I learnt how to build a small private army and attach laser beams to sharks heads, I'm waiting on a second interview from the League Of Evil any day now, wish me luck!

Could be worse - you could be a chugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

pow wow wrote: »
    Emigrate.

This, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Have a filthy turbo **** before an interview. You'll be so knackered that it should override any natural tendency to cock things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    Have a filthy turbo **** before an interview. You'll be so knackered that it should override any natural tendency to cock things up.

Before and not During....must remember that for next time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you're going to apply for a job doing anything online, such as web or application development, then ... do it, learn in the process, and you'll have something in your portfolio to show employers. You don't need a server of your own: you can get an account with Amazon AWS, fire up one of their EC2 free tier Micro instances, install Apache on it, and get cracking. Doesn't matter if you create something completely silly - employers do have a sense of humour, but they do want to see that you can learn to create things.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Learn another language. Ok, perhaps not the easiest thing for a dyslexic, but probably one of the most valuable skills you can have. At the moment, most Irish people are losing jobs to people from other nations who have 2-3 languages. Irish people just can't compete with them for certain jobs. 1600 people where I work, and >90% are non-Irish, and are employed because of their multilingual skills. I've started learning Dutch and Swedish purely to make my job more secure and to open up new opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I've never let my dyslexia sotp me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

mattjack wrote: »
    I've never let my dyslexia sotp me.

lol (only if your joking....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

bnt wrote: »
    If you're going to apply for a job doing anything online, such as web or application development, then ... do it, learn in the process, and you'll have something in your portfolio to show employers. You don't need a server of your own: you can get an account with Amazon AWS, fire up one of their EC2 free tier Micro instances, install Apache on it, and get cracking. Doesn't matter if you create something completely silly - employers do have a sense of humour, but they do want to see that you can learn to create things.

Do the what in the what now?!! I`m so not even there yet unfortunetely. I`ve done basic computer stuff I need to start a wee bit further back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bleg wrote: »

I meant to say that one of the biggest growth industries - as opposed to one of the biggest industries - over the next few years, will be the agri-food business, so no, it's not at the scale that I said.

However, I don't think it's progress is blown out of proportion - agri-food exports have increased by around 15% in the last 3 years and account for around 25% of net foreign earnings & it's expected to increase a lot more in the coming years.

Pharmaceuticals are indeed big business here, but they have no effect - either positive or negative - on the agri-food industry.

Advertisement