Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating a kidney

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This was the closest section I could find to post this.

Basically, I currently am undergoing treatment for depression, I've attempted suicide twice in 12 months, however I am now in a place where I have levelled out.
    After having seen how there are some people out there struggling to survive (due to organ failure etc.) I have decided that I would really like to give something to somebody (after I showed a blatant disregard for my own life), so I would really like to donate one of my kidneys... I came to see how there was somebody desperately
    The thing is, I'm not sure how I go about doing this. I guess this is my first step towards it? I would really love if anybody could advice me on how I can do this...

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

dar_me wrote: »
    This was the closest section I could find to post this.

Basically, I currently am undergoing treatment for depression, I've attempted suicide twice in 12 months, however I am now in a place where I have levelled out.
    After having seen how there are some people out there struggling to survive (due to organ failure etc.) I have decided that I would really like to give something to somebody (after I showed a blatant disregard for my own life), so I would really like to donate one of my kidneys... I came to see how there was somebody desperately
    The thing is, I'm not sure how I go about doing this. I guess this is my first step towards it? I would really love if anybody could advice me on how I can do this...

Thanks in advance...

I think you need to take a step back for a minute and try not to be so hard on yourself. Having twice attempted suicide due to depression isn't showing "blatant disregard for your own life", it's another symptom of the depression. While it's admirable that you feel so compelled to help others, there are plenty of other ways that you can go about this. None quite as extreme or posing such a degree of risk to yourself.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help to you but I think that to go completely down this road of blindly donating a kidney to a stranger seems like a mistake to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dar_me

That's really sweet of you to say...but this is something I feel I have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I tried to kill my self at 15, and I had little regard for my own life up until I had my daughter at 19. It all changed then I had a reason to live, when she was 7 she was diagnosed with diabetes. My kidneys are in great shape and I'm holding on to them just incase my daughter develops problems with her kidneys, diabetics account for over 50% of dialysis patients. She may well need one of my kidneys someday.

You might need your kidney for one of your own kids too some day, don't rush into it, it's a very important decision. If you feel the need to help someone then please look at other alternatives like blood transfusion or go on the bone marrow register.

I really think you should take a step back first and get your life back on track, start enjoying life, it's hard, I know. Put yourself first, no hospital is going to let you donate a kidney if you have suicidal tendencies.

Good luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As far as I know Ireland doesn't allow 'stranger' donation? I think OP you need to focus on your own health and remember there are loads of volunteering that you can do to make other's lives better.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Volunteering, prehaps giving blood or platelets would be a better option. Due to your history of depression, I highly doubt you would be considered for a live donation if they were done in Ireland. Keep working on yourself and making yourself better. From a personal experience volunteer, maybe get involved with the Dublin Simon community to do soup runs in the evenings. It works. PM me if you want, I can talk more about it if you would like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement