Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Tortoise Enclosure

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I planning an outdoor enclosure for my Russian which will be built in spring. If you have an outdoor enclosure could you please upload pictures for inspiration. Also what do you use for an outdoor heat source??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I don't have an outdoor enclosure for my Russian as I don't think we get enough good weather to warrant one. I usually just bring him out on warm days and watch him in the garden. If you do have him out in the garden I would make sure it is escape proof, you'd be surprised how fast they can move and how good they are at climbing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I agree, I dont think we get nough nice days regularly for a russian. maybe make a pen/run for on the sunny days

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenslider

If you do go for an outdoor enclosure be careful.have a permeable but claw proof mesh beneath the substrate ( i use part of an old trampoline safety net under the clay of my substrate)..horsefields are champ tunnel diggers..they can dig down over a meter when they burrow. I dont use a heat source outside. Some guys provide a plexi shelter with an infra red bulb fixture for cooler days. They get all the UVB they need just from being out over the season. When temps drop below 16c I bring my lot back into the table setup but other chaps have their lot out since april ( but these are older animals who are well acclimatised. I keep Hermannis but Russians are more hardy in terms of the temps they can cope with .That said, I wouldnt take any risks.

Advertisement