Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bah feckin Humbug

Options
  • 21-12-2011 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I'm seriously lacking in Christmas spirit for the past few days. I'm just getting really disillusioned with the whole thing.

I usually put a huge effort into getting the house ready and coming up with lovely recipes. This year, we're having dinner in my parents house, so I thought I'd make a few different desserts as dinner is my mothers thing. My oh so scroogy husband declared that I was mad as it would be easier, and just as appreciated to simply buy some desserts. Fresh cranberry sauce? - pfft why bother when it's cheaper and easier to buy a jar. Home made macaroons - ah sure we can just buy coconut biscuits. Lime pie - sure nobody will like that anyway. I just can't motivate myself to get cooking now, it feels like a pointless exercise.

Persuading him that it's not "going overboard" to buy our Niece a gift worth around €10 was hassle. Trying to persuade him to buy his parents a token gift, even though his mother "doesn't want one" is proving to be impossible. A gift worth about €3 for a friend was a hot topic for debate because it was "hassle for me to post it". Christmas shopping was to be done in one day, in one outing apparently, if his mood when I said I was heading out to try find a certain item was anything to go by.

I don't expect anyone to join me in my festivities, but his grumbling is really really getting me down - any tips for helping him get into the spirit of things, or even just to have him leave me be to get into the spirit myself? Any funny stories abou thow the scrooge in YOUR life enjoyed Christmas, or how you made them pay helped them enjoy the season more?

(before anyone says, spending is being kept at a minimum and is not the issue)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Whilst the forum is about those who love Christmas - it seems you do love Christmas but are just having difficulty with those around you who perhaps don't appreciate it as much so maybe we can keep this thread for those who need a reminder of how to enjoy Christmas or for those who can help with ideas to deal with scrooges.

Let's try and keep it festive though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Whispered, you poor thing. Your husband sounds like a pain in the bum.
    Can I ask if he had a tragedy or something on his life to make him hate Christmas? You don't have to go into details.
    It's ridiculous the way he's behaving though. I love spoiling people and even though this year pressies have a €30 limit, I'm still able to add little extras and make biscuits, etc.

If he didn't have anything bad happen to him and he's just being a moany Scrooge I would just shake him and tell him to cop on. Christmas is for giving and doing things for people.

I was helping my Auntie put up her tree the other week and my brother was in the house too and he did nothing but moan about this and that. I had Christmas music playing and was trying to create a nice festive mood. But his moaning was ruining everything. I eventually told him to shut up because he was bringing everybody down (he was moaning about Christmas).

I'm just tired of listening to this kind of thing. Fair enough if Christmas is a tough time I will understand but in my brothers case, he has his first son's Christmas coming up and he should be on top of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh no, no tragedy......yet :mad:. He's just a very laid back sort. Thinks Christmas can be hassle and doesn't like to see me getting all worked up over having everything perfect. Thing is I enjoy it.

Maybe your brother is similar? Feeling like those pesky women in his life make too much of Christmas, with a new baby too money could be tight and could be on his mind. Did he shut up when you gave out?

Maybe when husband gets his holidays he'll be happier.

I think tomorrow I'll do the whole festive thing anyway, bake some bikkies, make some chutney and open our pet secret santa pressies. If he doesn't perk up seeing the two dogs opening their pressies I fear his Christmas spirit can't be saved and I'll just have to gag him. If I do it with a nice Christmassy bow it'll be the most festive he's been so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭giggle84

If it is just a case of himself thinking that all the Christmas stuff stresses you out n he's trying to let you know you don't have to stress then maybe just tell him that you enjoy being so busy around Christmas, all us gals do, it's an excuse to shop n bake n eat fattening food! Failing that call him Scrooge/The Grinch n tell him to shut up. Maybe get him the grinch on DVD for Christmas! Go forth n bake n dance around the flour-covered kitchen to a bit of jingle bell rock, if he can't get into the Christmas spirit then well he's a lost cause! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I think he's being a bit of a softy but is too macho to act on it properly. I think I'm having the same problem with my mother that he's having with you. I said I'd take the "ladies in my life" (i.e. my mother and little sister) out to dinner tomorrow, especially as my mother doesn't like her office party and the three of us could go for something to eat instead. My mother is now saying she's too busy and has too much work to do to get ready for Christmas. To be honest, I'd prefer it if she spent less time tidying and getting food and presents ready and took a little time to relax and get a few drinks and a bite to eat. This is the first Christmas I'm earning money, so I want to treat her.

Maybe your husband just sees you doing stuff non-stop and would like you to sit down, relax and spend a little time with him. He just doesn't know how to say that to you. So maybe you could suggest that you go somewhere local and easy to get to (if possible) and have a lunch or a dinner and take your time over it. Christmas for a lot of people means getting, making things and organising things for their wider family, and as you say some people enjoy that. I think he'd just like you to relax with himself a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Plenty of long faces around my house this year, the place is full of Christmas cards with messages of doom and depression - why would people bother sending cards to remind us of all the family members that won't be at home with us this year and to tell us how hard it will be to have a quiet house?.

On opening this thread, I tossed them in the bin, lined up the pressies I still need to wrap, put on some nice 'happy' Chrismas music and started making star shaped short-bread biscuits delighted with the fact that I only need to make enough for a handful of people instead of the 30+ people we've had here at Christmas 'traditionally'.

I've also very much looking forward to re-instating the long running tradition of packing up horses, dogs and kids for the Boxing Day outing to the beach, the weather the last few years meant it had to be cancelled. Tomorrow is Fudge, Christmas soup, stuffing and cranberry sauce making day, it's the little luxuries like these that make it what it is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well I've spent the day cooking. Loads of lovely food cooling/heating/marinading etc at the moment. Smell of Christmas spices and vanilla in the house.

I've forced myself to be festive-y in spite of not feeling very enthusiastic and it worked! The Christmas tree is sparkling, the fire is lit and everyone in the house is fed and happy.

Husbands issue apparently was stress in work and him just not being in the mood. Thankfully he seems to have cheered up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Next time you two come down to camp at the lake we will throw him in and sing Xmas Songs as loud as we can! Nate will enjoy that!!!

Sorry you had such a hard time :(.

Advertisement