Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petting a cat after stronghold application?

Options
  • 21-12-2011 2:07am

Is it true you should not pet or handle your cat for 24 hours after applying a flea/worm gel like Stronghold? I totally forgot my OH said he'd done our cat today, and I've been hugging him, even had him rubbing up against my face!

I'm sure I'll be ok - if anything I might be free of fleas and worms now.

For those of you that remember my two semi wild rescues - we had heartbreak last week, when our George suddenly got ill. One night he was fine, walking around the house meowing and sleeping on the bed, the next morning he couldn't get out of his box to eat, vomit and diahorrhea (sp). Got him an appointment at the vets for 5pm that evening, by then he couldn't lift his head off his paws, was slipping into a coma and was put to sleep. The vet said he hadn't been eating or drinking for days, we had seen no evidence of this and he gave us no indication that he was ill until he keeled over in front of us. We miss him so much, he was our baby. We had him for six months only - he was just a year old. Our Blackie is now a huge cat, big solid lump, my OH correctly describes him as "resembling a transit van". Blackie is sometimes very affectionate, as he was tonight, and other times will run and hide for no reason. We let him do what he likes, it's his life and his prerogative! We are spoiling him rotten now George is dead, though. He's allowed to sleep in the sitting room, inside a big cardboard box he loves. We gave him George's old toys, and we intend to buy him a really cool cat toy, like a big, durable rope toy with catnip. And God help him if he ever so much as sneezes. We'll wrangle him in a bedsheet and lump him straight into the boot of the car and down to the vet. So far we haven't managed to get him to a vet.... we can pick him up, but the slightest rattle of a cat carrier and we don't see him for two days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stronghold is poison. We will not use it on cats or dogs. Toxic. Period.

If you are worried re getting it on you, why put it in the cats skin? It absorbs through the skin as it would if you touched it, and you are far larger than the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm sure you'll be grand, I've often forgotten when we've done our dogs with Advocate or whatever but just wash your hands/face and I dare say you'll be fine. I guess it's probably more that they don't want you to accidentally ingest it or get it in your eyes. Or if you have very sensitive skin.
    I think it's just you're not supposed to touch it until it's dry.
    (Again just my assumptions)

There is some information here

Advertisement