Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting another cat??

Options
  • 21-12-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

The local pound have a fabulous female cat up for rehoming as its owner's kids had allergies to kitty :(
    She looks fab and is apparently "good natured"
    I am wondering is it too late to introduce a new kitty to our household (current kitty will be 3 in May and has been here since 8 weeks he was a rescue as well)
    Our current cat is a neutered male but he is VERY VERY VERY territorial & very attached to me which might cause problems???
    Also, we have a 1 year old in the house, she interacts well with the current cat but I'd be afraid the new arrival would scratch at baby as she (the cat) wouldn't be used to little people (our current cat is very very good with aisling)

Also, there is the fact that Christmas is fast approaching

Kitty has about 5 days left before being PTS which is bothering me hugely

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Its very difficult to know whether cats will get on until they actually meet. I have found that most cats will at least tolerate each other.

I took in a stray kitten last weekend that one of my neighbours brought to me. She has made herself at home already and the other cats have accepted her. The only one put out is my Yorkshire Terrier, he thought he was the the king. Not any more, the kitten has put him in his place.

If I was in your position I would rehome the cat, especially as you think she might be pts. If things did not work out you could consider rehoming at a later date, but hopefully everything will turn out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

One of my neighbours is a bit of a crazy cat lady she keeps rescuing cats and they all seem to get on reasonably well which gives me hope
    But my cat is so psycho I'm not sure what will happen
    I have to keep in mind that the baby is a priority and having 2 psycho kitty's in the house could lead to alot of scratching :(

Is The Sweeper around?? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

There's just no way to know until you try. When I took in some strays (I might be angelfire's neighbour haha), the cat I thought would be ok with them is not, and the cat I thought we'd have trouble with is fine. Usually there's a period of warfare, followed by either friendship or mutual avoidance.
    Don't get the cat unless you're willing to live in a house with 2 cats who just barely tolerate each other (It can be very entertaining:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We had initially adopted two kitties at 8 weeks old - a brother and sister who we kept indoors. They were extremely attached to us and very territorial and cuddly.
    We "adopted" a stray who arrived at the door last year after having the others for two years and, despite a few fights, they all get on nowadays. It takes a bit of work but two (male and the female stray) are the best of friends while the original female just about barely tolerates the new female.

G'wan, adopt the kitty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It could work out if you are prepared to keep the cats seperate for a while, with a baby I don't know how easy that would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

It could work out if you are prepared to keep the cats seperate for a while, with a baby I don't know how easy that would be.

Exactly :(
    Poor kitty I'll have to figure out something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We have 5 cats all taking in at separate times.
    Aslan came first them about two months later Rocco came. Alsan lived having him around playing together all the time.
    Then came hissy and climbie about 7 months later. They were brother and sister. A week later came Blackie. Alsan had no problem with these kittens but didn't have much to do with them either. Rocco be Mae uncle Rocco as they all slept with him all over him.

Had to put talc powder on the 3 kittens however to get them to mix, poor blackie was being bullied. After a little while they all stayed together though.

About 4 months later we got Ben cat number 6. The 3 kittens loved him and the other 2 older cats didn't care. He was a nut job of a cat though so he use to drive them all mad by wanting to play.

All the cats get along now and we've had them for at least two years all together. They fight at times over sleeping arrangements or if playing gets outta hand. They all sleep together but you'll never figure out their sleeping rota. Its a big house and they spend a lot of time outside so I reckon the freedom and space helps them all get along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I've have cats all my life and find when I introduced a new cat there was usually a few weeks of growling and hissing then they learn to tolerate each other but the cat that was there 1st will always be the boss:D As above posters have said always give them somewhere to get away from each other e.g separate rooms and lavish the attention on your 1st kitty as she'll prob be well pissed off with you for a few days!
    As regards your child I find cats generally don't go near children if they are afraid or if the kid is getting too rough but obviously supervision is always necessary.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I've introduced new cats over the years and it took a week or two for acceptance.You should'nt leave them together at the start and i don't know how the male will accept a new addition. Males don't settle easily in confined areas i believe they like to gallivant to cat conferences as they're called.

Advertisement