Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work holidays

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi.i ask my boss at the start of the year could i take holidays over xmas and he said no.am i entitled to take holidays with plenty of notice?as i live 15k away from my job and working on xmas day should my boss pay my taxi fare as there is no public transport
    as ive no other way of getting to work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Absolutely not. Your employer is not responsible for providing your transport to work (unless you work in the international space centre or an oil rig). Lots of our staff will be working on Christmas Day and those who do not have their own trnasport must make alternative arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jojod

so what about the holidays am i entitled to take holidays over xmas period if i book it at start of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're not really guaranteed any particular days off, regardless of how much notice you give. From this page:
    It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jojod wrote: »
    so what about the holidays am i entitled to take holidays over xmas period if i book it at start of year?
    Your employer is only legally required to give you 28 days notice when cancelling annual leave.

so basically i cant take holidays xmas day or stephens day.so after paying for my taxi to and from work its gonna cost me money.80euro to 100euro im been quoted from taxi firms.there has to be some way around it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get quotes from hackney firms. Or your friends. Or colleagues. Or hire a car for those days (www.arguscarhire.ie was quoting me approx E50/day a few days ago, for the Christmas period).

Or negotiate with your manager.

no licence.ok thanks all for the replies i guess next year ill be sick and not able to travel to work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

I think the attitude that's coming across in this thread is the reason he didn't allow holidays. If I had the choice I would give it to people who did not feel I owed them for working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how much notice does an employee need to give of when they wish to take their holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's outrageous fees from taxi firms
    And the fact they're giving different figures so they aren't giving you the meter rate, they're just making up quotes

OP, find a local hackney firm. You'll find someone who will do that trip for half the price.

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    how much notice does an employee need to give of when they wish to take their holidays?

There's no notice period that guarantees you time off - otherwise there'd be nothing to stop everyone taking time off at a critical time of the year for the business.

there is no public transport
    as ive no other way of getting to work
    80euro to 100euro im been quoted from taxi firms.

The OP is stuck with getting to work

I've chipped in with advice to try to get a local hackney firm to save some cash.

What's the issue? I wasn't ranting about taxi companies, just trying to give the OP options
    JustMary wrote: »
    Get quotes from hackney firms.

Sure the mod of this forum did the same

Sorry mike, thought you had posted in the wrong thread by mistake. Forgot about the taxi part of the OP.

Cool :)

tats 40 to 50euro each way and tats off the meter

Advertisement