Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls to/from wrong numbers

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Idea from the current thread about ringing people who have a name beginning with A, any interesting tales about calling a wrong number and their reaction, or being called by an unknown number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If calling or being called by a wrong number was in any way interesting, then I think I'd seriously have to consider what the fuck I was doing wrong with my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

no, there are no interesting tales on this subject

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

There seems to be some scumbag with a number similar to mine, because the Gardaí are often leaving messages for someone called Mark out in Lucan. I never answer private numbers and they seem to always ring on one and leave a message. I'm not calling them back either, they can figure it out themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

My personal favourite is giving out the phone number to the local garda station anytime anyone asks you for a phone number for a taxi/takeaway or even my home no.

Person 1: Have you a number for a taxi.

Me: Yeah sure, its 062 *****

Person 1
    : Thanks (phones number)

Me: Pokerface

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Somehow, some t*t in Limerick got their own number wrong and posted in the Limerick Post newspaper(think that's what it was called) selling their car. I got calls for weeks after. after a while I began to ignore some numbers I didn't recognise, got a few abusive texts after ignoring their calls, and it was only a bloody Volkswagon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Remember on my Business Studies Junior Cert they used a mobile phone number in one of the long questions, I remember after it- being the immature teenagers that we were- a couple of us rang the number messing and a guy picked up raging that people hadn't stopped ringing him all morning haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

When people tell me I've rang the wrong number, I dont just apologise and hang up, but quickly inform them that it is infact they who have the wrong number.. *mind*****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

No calls but I got a text once which read something like that *Sorry, can't make training, got a wicked groin strain, my b*lls are on fire*. I texted him back and pointed out that he had send that nugget of information to a very surprised woman :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

When people tell me I've rang the wrong number, I dont just apologise and hang up, but quickly inform them that it is infact they who have the wrong number.. *mind*****

You should tell them they answered the wrong phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Our phone number used to be like that of a local Chinese Takeaway, we used to get lots of wrong number calls at weekends especially. I used to politely advise callers that they had dialled a wrong number.

However, callers who dealt with my brother weren't so lucky. He would let them give their orders and then he'd tell them that they would be ready for collection in 15 minutes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

They were winging the wong wumber with you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

They were winging the wong wumber with you:D
    The brother used have great craic. He used to run special offers too. He's say things like "as your order is over €20, I'll throw in two cans of coke free of charge". I'd say the Chinese Takeaway were forced into changing their number in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

When I was a young lad I once got a call from two girls. Basically they were calling variations of their own numbers and got through to me. They were a bit strange but we chatted for ages. Ended up texting one of them regularly and we continued to text and ring each other (mostly under the influence) for about nine years but never once met each other despite living fifteen minutes apart. Still send the odd message.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The oul lad answered the home phone one night years ago to be greeted by some randomer shouting "where the **** are you? Are you coming for me or what?" "No, I'm watching a film now **** off" "What?!" "You heard me.." then he hung up. It seems our home number was somewhat similar to a local taxi number who probably got badmouthed all over town after that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My Ma picked up the house phone years ago, and me and the brother thought it was our sister, me Ma was on the phone for ages, when she hung up and came back into the kitchen we asked her who it was and she said it was such and such's aunt, we asked her why she was phoning and she told us, " it was a wrong number, but she thought I recgnised the voice", so she asked then who they were, she said she knew the person they were looking for but didn't know them, so between them they chatted for about 30 mins about God knows what, and ended up friends.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Had a call once on a private number from a Sheriff once. He was calling me to tell me i was summonsed to appear at a court, but then we discovered that someone was using my address and telephone number as theirs. It was only proved when they came and checked over my ID

Bit of an odd one at the time.

Advertisement