Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous indo article on "Polish drunk tanks"

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Just after reading this article and have to say I can't really see a grain of truth in this whole "stripped naked and hosed down with cold water" or for instance the following quote,
    "One man, who was arrested walking home drunk from a party, said: "It was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever gone through. I was strip-searched on arrival and made fun of in front of female staff." "

Have to say the portrayal of Poland in this article is beyond ridiculous. Where is the Independant getting there facts from, seemingly the 1970's.

Article: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/drunk-tanks-a-sobering-prospect-for-football-fans-2967291.html

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

"It was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever gone through. I was strip-searched on arrival and made fun of in front of female staff." "
    I pay good money for that type of treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

They dont suffer fools lightly in Poland....and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

€80 quid a night to stay in a drunk tank & free shower to boot.

Throw in a bit of breakfast and that's not a bad deal for the travelling Irish fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Edal

Just after reading this article and have to say I can't really see a grain of truth in this whole "stripped naked and hosed down with cold water" or for instance the following quote,
    "One man, who was arrested walking home drunk from a party, said: "It was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever gone through. I was strip-searched on arrival and made fun of in front of female staff." "

Have to say the portrayal of Poland in this article is beyond ridiculous. Where is the Independant getting there facts from, seemingly the 1970's.

Article: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/drunk-tanks-a-sobering-prospect-for-football-fans-2967291.html

Have you lived in Poland? Then how do you know?

My Polish friends tell me the police are as corrupt as anything. They stop you for speeding, you just slip them a few quid and you go on your merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I read that headline and had a quite different vision in my head :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Went to krakow on a boozey weekend away, have to say we had a great time but the local police do not mess about. On the walk back to the hotel i saw two different instances of lads, local i think, getting an absolute pasting from them. Also, if you are in a bar and the head starts nodding you will get bucked out onto the street. You would want to be upright at least, if not the long arm of the law will be over for a word if they about. We had no problems i have to say, but we were careful enough not to cross the local police.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Edal wrote: »
    Have you lived in Poland? Then how do you know?

My Polish friends tell me the police are as corrupt as anything. They stop you for speeding, you just slip them a few quid and you go on your merry way.

Been there about six to eight times, spent summers there, been drunk there quite frequently, been to Rzeszów, Zakopane, Przemyśl, Solina, Kraków & Katowice. My girlfriend is Polish, as is her family, and they seemed to find this article noting short of ridiculous This might be the treatment well known soccer hooligan gangs get but its far from what any normal drunkard would experience and certainly not a tourist.

In regards to corruption yah it exists in some places but certainly not worth trying. It seems like an article written on stereotypes of the USSR.

Drunk in a public place...you will be hauled in. Its that simple.
    Any Irish person who thinks they can hop off to Poland (or anywhere else for that matter) and act the twat..well just keep it in mind,they will lock you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

chucken1 wrote: »
    Drunk in a public place...you will be hauled in. Its that simple.

So how do you get from the pub to you hotel room after 4 pints?

tuxy wrote: »
    So how do you get from the pub to you hotel room after 4 pints?

Dont be pedantic. If you're acting the fool around the streets(or hotel) after drinking,the law are never far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

chucken1 wrote: »
    Dont be pedantic. If you're acting the fool around the streets(or hotel) after drinking,the law are never far away.

In some countries you can't be out in public even after very small amounts of alcohol. So just to make it clear, Poland is not one of these countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I get the impression that the authorities in Poland are concerned about becoming like their neighbours, Russia. They doubled the price of Vodka there, to try and tackle rampant alcoholism, so beer sales shot up, and beer wasn't officially considered an alcoholic drink until this year. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It's the Indo people, it's a rag,
    they should give out a packet of salt with every issue!

The photo of the man lying face down on the not too comfortable looking bed with his jocks pulled down looked recent enough OP. It didn't look like it was from the 70's.
    What goes on in these places.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

We could do with this sort of treatment on our streets. I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

[QUOTE=Dave_Kilkenny;76106738 My girlfriend is Polish, as is her family

Stands to reason:D

I have been to Poland on average 4 times a year for the last 10 years and have never seen nor heard of a drunk tank.That said you will not mess with the police or private security(armed). In general the police are tourist friendly and tolerant of jovial behaviour, however i think they may be a little tense next summer.
    One area that they are very strict on lately is speeding,so if u hire a car in june be careful.
    Poznan is a wonderful city and the atmosphere there is bound to be friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jesus the PSNI are getting very PC.

Advertisement