Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgrange tomorrow for the solstice!!???

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

So excited.... cant wait.... solstice tomorrow.... anyone else lucky as me?

m2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I got tickets for the 23rd. Well my mate did and he is bringing me, yeah. I got a new lens for the camera so I will grab as many photos as possible and put them up here. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for a clear morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

M2 wrote: »
    So excited.... cant wait.... solstice tomorrow.... anyone else lucky as me?

m2

how did that go ? looked cloudy on the telly (only remembered to login at 8:55am on rte and look)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I visited Newgrange twice 1979 and 2010.
    I love the place and will return.

To me it's a site of celebration of rebirth (call it a church or what?)
    The sun's sperm (sun-ray) enters the vagina of the earth (the passage) on the winter solstice to start the cycle over and over again.
    The ancients worshipped the sun ( see all the sun swirls outside) and at this site they offer the mother earth to the sun god to impregnate so that the crops will grow in the new year etc.

My version anyway.

Throw in the myths about the revered swans returning to this same spot at this time and it only adds to the rebirth story.
    Maybe they put their dead chieftains into this site so that the sun god would resurrect them at this time (as the swans maybe??)

I would love to know the true version as this place is fascinating.

Everyone should post their wild thoughts as it could help the scholars figure out what really went on.

PS.
    The chamber at the end of the passage is akin to a female womb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I visited Newgrange twice 1979 and 2010.
    I love the place and will return.

To me it's a site of celebration of rebirth (call it a church or what?)
    The sun's sperm (sun-ray) enters the vagina of the earth (the passage) on the winter solstice to start the cycle over and over again.
    The ancients worshipped the sun ( see all the sun swirls outside) and at this site they offer the mother earth to the sun god to impregnate so that the crops will grow in the new year etc.

My version anyway.

Throw in the myths about the revered swans returning to this same spot at this time and it only adds to the rebirth story.
    Maybe they put their dead chieftains into this site so that the sun god would resurrect them at this time (as the swans maybe??)

I would love to know the true version as this place is fascinating.

Everyone should post their wild thoughts as it could help the scholars figure out what really went on.

PS.
    The chamber at the end of the passage is akin to a female womb.
    Well here's my wild thought.

I think that any group of people that had the intelligence and wisdom to build a structure which is accurately aligned with the winter solstice, is unlikely to be so daft as to think that the sun is a phallus.
    These were very clever people. They weren't any more prone to loopy religious ideas than you or me. They weren't any less intelligent than you or me.
    The only difference is the technology available
    Maybe they did mean it to symbolically represent the rebirth of the new year and maybe it did have sexual connotations. But I doubt it.
    From now on the days are getting longer. This is not of huge importance in contemporary life with artificial lighting etc.
    But put yourself in neolithic shoes and imagine how important the lengthening days would be.
    More time to hunt, more time to gather, more time to sow seed and clear trees.

So I think Newgrange was simply a celebration of the fact that the future was getting brighter - day by day.
    Imagine how important a fact that would be, and how it would sustain you through the harshest of all months which follow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

slowburner wrote: »
    Maybe they did mean it to symbolically represent the rebirth of the new year and maybe it did have sexual connotations. But I doubt it.
    Well ancient Egyptians were incredibly sophisticated, but their religion had a lot of "interesting" sexual symbolism and odd practices the Discovery channel tends to avoid. :) EG at one point in their history, one practice was where the Pharaoh's primary wife would *ahem* give her husband hand relief so that he would spill his seed on a sacred stone deep in the bowels of the temple. Watched by high priests. IIRC one of the titles that a Pharaohs wife had was "the hand of God". So the Newgrange chaps and chappesses may well have had the whole womb of the earth, willy of the son thing going on. Another interesting one about Newgrange is every 17-18 years(?) the full moon appears in the box/entrance before the sun comes up. Further there's a Greek (IIRC) text that describes a circular temple of the sun and moon and gives the same timing. They say it's the lands above the north winds. Engineers, scientists, philosophers they were, geographers they were not :D. The British sometimes claim they speak of Stonehenge, but Newgrange fits the bill a lot better. Also IIRC later Roman coins were found nearby at the site. It may have been a lot more famous in the ancient world than we realise. Don't get me started on the hollywood reconstruction...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

That would make for an interesting Hollywood title "Newgrange - Womb of the Earth, Willy of the Sun".

I'm no prude, but I just think that far too many things are interpreted as being genitals in archaeology. As if there was nothing else in antiquity to idolise.
    Some standing stones/menhirs etc. are pretty obviously phallic - many others are nothing like a phallus but are interpreted this way.
    I watched a programme recently about the end of the Roman conquest in Britain. One archaeologist interpreted a symbol on an artifact as a penis - to me it was very clearly a mushroom or toadstool.
    She went on to theorise how the barbarians might have painted themselves in woad mixed with semen, the night before they went into battle.
    My arse they did, any athlete will tell you that the last thing they should do before a competition is deplete the 'auld bodily fluids and that ain't a modern idea.
    Engineers, scientists, philosophers they were, geographers they were not :D
    Ah yes; "Hibernia which lies between Britain and Iberia"
    Also IIRC later Roman coins were found nearby at the site.
    Don't get me started on the hollywood reconstruction...
    ...and don't get me started on the Romans in Ireland.

It would be interesting to hear folks' opinions of the reconstruction of Newgrange.

Any idea what the Greek text is that refers to the circular temple? I'm pretty sure there's nothing in Strabo or Agricola, so it's not a Roman text.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm no prude, but I just think that far too many things are interpreted as being genitals in archaeology. As if there was nothing else in antiquity to idolise.
    Oh sure. It can be a deep rooted thing. Akin to the "if you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" kinda thing.
    She went on to theorise how the barbarians might have painted themselves in woad mixed with semen, the night before they went into battle.
    My arse they did, any athlete will tell you that the last thing they should do before a competition is deplete the 'auld bodily fluids and that ain't a modern idea.
    Maybe though depleting the bodily fluids actually increases testosterone so... Plus semen was seen as having great power in many cultures, so it's possible, though yes I'd agree it sounds a bit Daily Mail. Unless someone wrote of this at the time, I'd take it with a large pinch of salt(and even then).
    Ah yes; "Hibernia which lies between Britain and Iberia"
    Well... that's kinda true. ish. :D The hyperboreans seem to change where they live too. Could be anywhere depending on the writer, but it seems to be a general catchall for "that lot up there, where it's cold". Not dissimilar to how the Romans described Celts in that they vary in location too. One writer will place them centred in Germany, others in Romania, others still in Spain.
    It would be interesting to hear folks' opinions of the reconstruction of Newgrange.
    Personally speaking the facade and entrance is wrong. Too vertical for a start and requires concrete today to keep it in situ. The reconstruction at Knowth is far more sensitive. They laid the white stones as an entrance platform. Neolithic decking kinda thing :). Though I'd ask one question of that reconstruction. Try walking on it in thin leather shoes or even barefoot. Not easy. That said and this is the personal bit, I think they're both wrong. Why? OK the white stones were found in an archaeological context at the front of the buildings around the entrance so it seems perfectly logical to assume that's in the general area of where they started life. However if you look at the history of the sites after they went into disuse a couple of things stand out for me. 1) both were dug for gravel and the like. 2) Both were climbed up over centuries(even built on) and 3) old photos particularly of Newgrange show that the route taken by people and animals left a trail by the entrance. These would affect where the stones rolled down. I noticed this on a slope in my own back garden. The remains of an old rock garden have rolled down over the years to the bottom and follow the line of the path, quite away from it's original position(and many quite large stones have apparently "vanished". Over the many centuries of footfall and rain and gravity on these sites you can well imagine the process being even more in evidence.

My theory of it's original look? I would posit that the whole building was covered with a thin layer of white stones, so they looked almost like representations of the moon/sun when seen from a distance and imagined seen from above to their "gods". More like the moon though. Temple of the moon, that the sun entered every year and the moon entered before the sun every 18 years kinda thing. I reckon it could be a moon cult rather than a sun one. A few carvings at Knowth may be moon carvings/calenders. IIRC one researcher made a pretty good case for the latter?
    Any idea what the Greek text is that refers to the circular temple? I'm pretty sure there's nothing in Strabo or Agricola, so it's not a Roman text.
    Pythias(sp) I think. Have it in a book somewhere. Talking about a temple of Apollo. Pretty vague and short IIRC and it might refer to stonehenge or newgrange, either could fit, but for me newgrange is the slightly better fit. One big reason is that he describes the god apollo visiting there once every 18 years which would tie in with newgrange but not stonehenge and even more he describes that he does so in winter. Newgrange is aligned to the winter solstice, stonehenge to the summer. Stonehenge is the "wrong" time of year. He also describes the temple as spherical/vaulted, not circular(and the Greeks were precise about that sort of thing) and describes it as adorned with carvings. Stonehenge has no carvings and is circular.

Sorry I'm running on my not exactly brilliant memory here. Google isn't much of a help or I'm asking the wrong questions. :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Sorry I'm running on my not exactly brilliant memory here. Google isn't much of a help or I'm asking the wrong questions. :o
    The day I stop enjoying your 'running on' is the day I'll be six feet under.
    'Twas yourself who pointed me in the direction of Strabo and Agricola elsewhere in my probably pointless (but fun) enquiries.

A little bit of googling tells me that Pytheas was a Greek geographer from present day Marseilles. It seems that his principal work "On the Ocean" was lost, and survives only through references from Polybius around the 2nd century BC.
    It seems that he was a pretty good geographer - he calculated the distance from Marseilles to Land's End (where he visited the tin mines of Cornwall) nearly perfectly and calculated the circumference of Britain, which he claimed to have walked all over. This was around the 4th century BC.
    So it is not at all unreasonable to suspect that he visited Ireland and perhaps even Newgrange ??

That's the guy! Marseilles was knocking around in my head thinking about him.

Came across a re-airing of an interesting tv programme last night with Julian Richards.
    What was most interesting was that the tops of the megaliths were level to within 1" of each other, even though the site is sloping.
    Builders today, still get this wrong; even with theodolites and lasers.
    I wonder if Newgrange and similar sites were built to a level too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

Came across a re-airing of an interesting tv programme last night with Julian Richards.
    What was most interesting was that the tops of the megaliths were level to within 1" of each other, even though the site is sloping.
    Builders today, still get this wrong; even with theodolites and lasers.
    I wonder if Newgrange and similar sites were built to a level too.

Any idea of the name of said show slowburner?? Sounds interesting.

I made it to Dowth for sunset on the 21st of December... It was very nice... a few rays made it into the passage briefly. It had been cloudy all afternoon, so it was nice to catch a short glimpse of sunshine right on time...

Someone had pruned back the hedge of the adjacent property a bit, so that was nice, although there are some trees further back which would prevent the sun going all the way in to hit the backstone if the chance were to be had.

I have a soft spot for Dowth as bar some butchery (eh, the crater) in colonial times, it really has a nice natural feel about the place and it has not been visually tidied up based on the whims of contemporary people.

Here's an excerpt but it doesn't have the part about the tops level to within an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember going a lot when I was a kid. There's a family story that my mum got stuck going in when she was pregnant with me.

I'm not a fan of the "reconstruction" at all. Why not leave it as it was instead of speculating about how it could have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

Thanks for that link slowburner... I don't yet have the privileges to thank your post :D

I'm a Boards newbie, but am familiar with forum etiquette from other other places.

@In_the_trees:That's really kind of a nice symmetry there to hear that you were in one of the Bru na Boinne passageways while in the womb... especially when you take into account some of the inferences made to wombs and fertility in posts earlier in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wibbs wrote: »
    Pythias(sp) I think. Have it in a book somewhere. Talking about a temple of Apollo. Pretty vague and short IIRC and it might refer to stonehenge or newgrange, either could fit, but for me newgrange is the slightly better fit. One big reason is that he describes the god apollo visiting there once every 18 years which would tie in with newgrange but not stonehenge and even more he describes that he does so in winter. Newgrange is aligned to the winter solstice, stonehenge to the summer. Stonehenge is the "wrong" time of year. He also describes the temple as spherical/vaulted, not circular(and the Greeks were precise about that sort of thing) and describes it as adorned with carvings. Stonehenge has no carvings and is circular.

A little bit of googling tells me that Pytheas was a Greek geographer from present day Marseilles. It seems that his principal work "On the Ocean" was lost, and survives only through references from Polybius around the 2nd century BC.
    It seems that he was a pretty good geographer - he calculated the distance from Marseilles to Land's End (where he visited the tin mines of Cornwall) nearly perfectly and calculated the circumference of Britain, which he claimed to have walked all over. This was around the 4th century BC.
    So it is not at all unreasonable to suspect that he visited Ireland and perhaps even Newgrange ??

I found this post by chance and instantly remembered these posts. It's worth a read and discusses the possibility of what Pytheas mentions being either Newgrange or Stonehenge. You'll definitely need to read the comments at the bottom of the page because they correct some of the writer's mistakes.

Fascinating subject.

I've always been amazed at how these monumental places just seem to have been almost completely forgotten about over the course of time, worth a thread of it's own perhaps!

Nice to see that the debate is still up in the air, on what was what in Pytheas' writings.
    It's much more interesting the when things are 'widely accepted'.

The island 'beyond whence the north wind blows' seems to me to be the most curious description. And it was around the size of Sicily - Iceland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sacredireland

There is an interesting take on Newgrange purpose & mythology in Anthony Murphy's book: Newgrange: Monument to Immortality (he also wrote Island of the Setting Sun).

Anthony will be speaking about meaning of this ancient monument to us as humans of 21st century at 2013 Winter Solstice Celebration.

Celebration: www.wintersolstice.ie/programme
    Anthony's blog: http://mythicalireland.com/
    Newgrange book: http://www.theliffeypress.com/newgrange-monument-to-immortality.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A little off topic but...

As someone in their 50's I remember visiting Newgrange when I was little many times, I dont remember whether it cost to get in and we usually had the place to ourselves.

But what on earth have they done to it? I realise the interior is the most precious part but to desecrate the exterior like that is just shocking. Its disney-fied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A little off topic but...

As someone in their 50's I remember visiting Newgrange when I was little many times, I dont remember whether it cost to get in and we usually had the place to ourselves.

But what on earth have they done to it? I realise the interior is the most precious part but to desecrate the exterior like that is just shocking. Its disney-fied.

Opinions opinions.

We certainly do not have an exact replica of the original.
    However, the existing structure does bring Newgrange to the masses. It entertains, and it promotes learning about history and this era in particular.
    This must be more beneficial than leaving it in the state it was found in.

I first visited Newgrange in June 1979 and hope to bring my own children there some day.

Advertisement