Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just started my first job..

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am a 20 year old male, currently in the middle of a 4 year business studies degree & I just started my first job, with Dealz Ireland.

The contract is for 16 hours a week but since I started work I have been getting an average of 31.5 hours per week, which is great.

The problem I have is that I am on emergency tax for the 6th week now and I am being deducted 41% of my pay-check every week.

I filled out the 12A form & received my tax credits from revenue in the post. The week after I received it, my next pay-slip showed that I am still paying emergency tax. I would have thought that now that I have my tax credits that I would be no longer paying emergency tax? Maybe it will be sorted in this coming Friday's pay-slip? (I could really do with the full weeks wages before Xmas!)

Up to date, I have paid €650 in emergency tax, do I get this back?

If so, how much of it is usually paid back, how do I claim for it & when will I get it back?

If anyone can help with this I would be very grateful. (I did ask my employer but he wasn't very helpful!!).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, you will get it back - eventually.

If it's not in this Friday's pay (or next, if there is one), then you will have to wait 'til you get your P60 for the year, then contact Revenue (hint: registering for ROS is a good idea, lots quicker that way) and ask for a balancing statement.

Try to make contact with someone in payroll who can tell you when your tax-credits cert is likely to be applied - sometimes this can take companies a while. (It shouldn't, but does.)

Advertisement