Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Feuds?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

So the season of goodwill and forced togetherness is almost upon us. Are you dreading your family get-together? Any family members or friends not talking to each other? What's the chance of them being reconciled with the season that's in it? Anybody you've fallen out with that you think you might hear from at Christmas? Is there reconciliation in the air or will fisticuffs break out and the turkey get slammed against the wall?

This year in my family I have a brother who's not talking to a brother in law. The brother in law is a car dealer and the brother went and bought a car from someone else. There was a big row and they've stopped talking to each other. Should make for some interesting body language come Christmas Day.

I also have a sister in law who's been a no-show for the last ten years. She's an alccy and obviously can't cope with seeing the rest of us without consuming a vat of wine first. I haven't heard she's not coming but I would be absolutely amazed to see her.

So what's it going to be like in your household? Peace on earth or drunken mayhem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wattle wrote: »
    I also have a sister in law who's been a no-show for the last ten years. She's an alccy and obviously can't cope with seeing the rest of us without consuming a vat of wine first.
    That says more about you than it does about her, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nah, we don't have feuds, nor have I ever heard of one first hand. I think it's a myth, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We dont do christmas arguments in my house, we do resentment, simmering tension and then huge fights a few months later. Gah if it wasnt for the folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Looking forward to being around all my family in our mothers house, Nieces ,Nephews grandchildren sure its great craic, What possibly could go wrong. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Let the card game battle commence!

those sh1tty siblings not gonna beat me this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭amacca

Wattle wrote: »

This year in my family I have a brother who's not talking to a brother in law. The brother in law is a car dealer and the brother went and bought a car from someone else.

I hate that type of plop........................relatives feeling you have some sort of duty to buy the product off them even if it is probably more expensive and of lesser quality or you simply don't want the interaction/hassle/feeling like they've done you a favour............what is it some people dont get about wanting to remain independant (not selfish)

good on your brother......................and a ho ho ho merry fcukin christmas to your brother in law.

I'm going to my parents place....it should be good...we generally manage to tolerate, respect and even enjoy each others company for large stretches of Christmas without a single business transaction being mentioned

It gets a bit dull at times.......I have on occasion prayed for an alcoholic sister in law to relieve the mundanity of it at time with an alcohol soaked wrecking ball appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Confab wrote: »
    Nah, we don't have feuds, nor have I ever heard of one first hand. I think it's a myth, personally.

Ive never seen any feuds. But then again our family dont live in each others pockets. We will see each other over the course of the week as usual but none of this hanging around each others houses drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

El Weirdo wrote: »
    That says more about you than it does about her, tbh.

It's not just us she doesn't see anybody and if she hadn't completely ruined my brothers life I might agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yep every year since i can remember there have been feuds, one 5 years ago involved me sending an uncle to hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yep every year since i can remember there have been feuds, one 5 years ago involved me sending an uncle to hospital.

well you're a real barrel of laughs aren't you.

Jaysus the Grinch wouldn't get a look in with you. Fuckin sourpuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,504 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No fueds since the one 3 years ago when I shot two brothers and a sister. The rest don't give me any bullsh1t now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭amacca

Fcuk you uncle matt....I called dibs on being the top hat!

do not pass go....do not collect two hundred...eat fist!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Did you put him through a window? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

No fueds since the one 3 years ago when I shot two brothers and a sister. The rest don't give me any bullsh1t now.

ffs, that's going to far. I'll admit to an accident involving electricity and the Christmas lights, but hey we were all drunk, and his wife never pressed for charges to be brought, so it's all good

Family doesn't speak to me much now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Did you send the Uncle to hospital to pick up your sick Gran because you were too busy playing a board game with your darling cousin? That's understandable. I'm sure your Uncle didn't mind and was happy to do it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

There probably will be an argument in mine, my sister has pregnancy diabetes and I am gonna be teasing the hell out of her with chocolate, she would do it to me if it was the other way around. and my Dad is as thick as a sack so he will probably start arguing with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm dreading going to my folks for Christmas. It's the only time the whole family is there at the same time, and there's always murder. My youngest brother (35) is a scumbag and VERY fond of his drink. When he gets a few drinks in him, he start shooting his mouth off, usually ending in him getting a slap for his troubles. Maybe some day he'll learn, then again maybe not. Either way, it's not pleasant for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Did you put him through a window? :eek:

I was hammered as was he and there was a serious Feud with him and my sister and mother.

Well what started with a friendly wrestling match out the back turned into a clumsy mma fight and he ended up doing damage to his knee and had to go to the hospital, he was out of work for 3 weeks too.

Not as bad as it sounds but there was some real hatred between relatives when i was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Loudova

This holiday season, try to remember that your relatives are just as afraid of you as you are of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Some get togethers here sound like THE place to be..............they sound better than any of the soaps that will be on tv lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Three year old ceasefire in one feud , holding well since Gardai got involved.
    Stalemate in another , since solicitors letters were sent.One side of the family is not talking to anyone at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We do family freuds in my house.

Everyone is obsessed with penis envy round my way.

Advertisement