Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland has been ranked the most charitable country in Europe in 2011

Options
  • 20-12-2011 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1220/charity.html

Despite the economic turndown Ireland has been ranked the most charitable country in Europe in 2011 and the second most charitable nation in the world, in a newly published World Giving Index from the UK's Charities Aid Foundation.
    Giving money, volunteering time and helping strangers were the measures used to decide the ranking.
    Gallup surveyors found 75% of people here gave money, 38% volunteered time and 65% helped a stranger.
    The UK is ranked second in Europe, while the US is ranked number one in the world.

Well that's nice to know and its good to hear we still have some humanity and time left to share and give to others,Well done Ireland :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Well as I always say; you cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Perhaps they'll try it at home now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well as I always say; you cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

You me and socrates should sit round a campfire smoking the weed and have long discussions :cool:

right on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Tbh it doesnt surprise me. We're drunken, back stabbing, bastards but still good natured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't believe in being proud to be Irish, but I'm proud of a Government and people who even as a first world country, regret and remember poverty so dearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

realies wrote: »
    the US is ranked number one in the world.

That strikes me as odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Downlinz wrote: »
    the US is ranked number one in the world.

That strikes me as odd.

does it count military "aid"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Take that Belgium!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I presume they mean the charity we're extending to the banks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Was it a self answered survey or actual data? We just lie better about giving! :D I don't give to charities, I'd much rather give a bit the the fella with the cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

RichieC wrote: »
    does it count military "aid"?

Where the US* military heads to a disaster zone, puts it's massive resources to use and organizes airlifts of emergency supplies on a monsterous scale?

I'd say they count it allright.

*While the Chinese, Russians and most others sit on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well that's nice to know and its good to hear we still have some humanity and time left to share and give to others,Well done Ireland :)

You would like to think so, but then you get some poor Irish guy/gal laid off through no fault of their own. Having to claim Social Welfare and then the kick them when they're down brigade arrive on here spewing the usual anti-welfare shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I don't trust it....

First - this was all self-reported data. That makes it awfully untrustworthy.

Second - the index doesn't take into account the *amount* of time or money that was donated. It only recorded the percentage of people who said they did those things.

75% of people giving 1 euro is a lot less than 50% of people giving 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Looks like whatever direct debit the chuggers guilt tripped the government into during the good times has somehow survived 3 years of austerity budgets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

TheZohan wrote: »

Not if you slip out while she is asleep.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Downlinz wrote: »
    That strikes me as odd.
    Philanthropy is practised a lot in the United States especially by retired billionaires, which probably boosts figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

everyone else are mean bastards

Advertisement