Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Question

Options
  • 20-12-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone, I have my maths xmas test tomorrow and i'm doing some revision in the exam papers and i'm stuck on this question and it's gotten the better of me!:( Can anyone help?

There are 16 girls and 8 boys in a class. Half of these 24 students study French. The probability that a randomly selected girl studies French is 1.5 times the probability that a randomly selected boy studies French. How many of the boys in the class study French?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

That one got me too! Still dont get it...what I did was look up the solution on examinations.ie, it didnt make a whole lot of sense to me but its better than nothing I suppose.

Sorry I cant help you more :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 John 10

Ah yes never thought of the solutions on examinations.ie!:rolleyes:

Makes sense now. Have to say some of the questions on the papers are very hard and awkward as well, they really are doing their upmost best to make a balls of the subject. Suppose it doesn't help when I haven't done a whole lot of revision and our teacher gives us tests that aren't exactly exam material!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Exactly my thoughts! I get A's in class tests but when it comes to exam style questions I freak out :o The books need to be more exam-focused or the exams need to be dumbed down some more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

John 10 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have my maths xmas test tomorrow and i'm doing some revision in the exam papers and i'm stuck on this question and it's gotten the better of me!:( Can anyone help?

There are 16 girls and 8 boys in a class. Half of these 24 students study French. The probability that a randomly selected girl studies French is 1.5 times the probability that a randomly selected boy studies French. How many of the boys in the class study French?

Thanks in advance!

Let x be the number of boys that study French. We want to somehow write down a equation in x that we can solve.

In terms of x, how many girls study French? To answer this, use the fact that we are told that 12 students in total study French.

Now P(random boy studies French) = x/8 (make sure you understand why this is true)

Now, we are told that P(random girl studies French) = 1.5 x P(random boy studies french). So P(random girl studies French) = 1.5(x/8)

But P(random girl studies French) = (number of girls who study French)/16

Now express the right hand side of the last equation in terms of x.

Now try to put it all together and solve for x.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcull

But P(random girl studies French) = (number of girls who study French)/16

I'm with you until here but why is P(random girl studies French) = (number of girls who study French)/16???? totally confused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

kcull wrote: »
    I'm with you until here but why is P(random girl studies French) = (number of girls who study French)/16???? totally confused

There are 16 girls in total.

As an example, say 4 of them study French...

So P(random girl studies French) is 4/16 - now forget the example.

But you don't know how many girls study French - but you do know 12 in total study French and that x of that 12 are boys so...

P(random girl....) = (12 - x)/16

Advertisement