Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Easter Rising Casualties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

GALLERY, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Leicestershire Regiment. Unit; 13th Battalion. Date of Death: 01-April-1918. Service No:35267. Formerly he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers where his number was 29586. Born in,St John, Northumberland. Enlisted in Newcastle-on-Tyne, Northumberland while living in Scotswood, Northumberland. Died at home. Supplementary information; Husband of Mrs. M. Gallery, of 6, Lady's Lane, Parnell St., Limerick. Grave or Memorial Reference: 31843. Cemetery: Limerick (St. Lawrence’s) Catholic Cemetery, Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

enfield wrote: »
    GALLERY, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Leicestershire Regiment. Unit; 13th Battalion. Date of Death: 01-April-1918. Service No:35267. Formerly he was with the Northumberland Fusiliers where his number was 29586. Born in,St John, Northumberland. Enlisted in Newcastle-on-Tyne, Northumberland while living in Scotswood, Northumberland. Died at home. Supplementary information; Husband of Mrs. M. Gallery, of 6, Lady's Lane, Parnell St., Limerick. Grave or Memorial Reference: 31843. Cemetery: Limerick (St. Lawrence’s) Catholic Cemetery, Limerick.
    thanks Tom. What was this chap's link to the Easter Rising?

I have no idea, he was just a member of the Leics that is buried here after his death in 1918.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

OK, no prob.

What I was hoping to find was any soldiers that stayed on in Ireland in the aftermath of the Rising and subsequently died in Ireland. Can't imagine there would be too many as most units were earmarked for France.

I would have a lot of lads who were involved in the rising but later, when they became casualties, they were buried abroad as they fell in foreign fields.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

I was sent a few scans from 'Ireland's Unknown Soldiers' by Terence Denman, as it contained some relevant references for me. The images impressed the heck out of me. I ordered a copy from my local library and await it arrival with great anticipation.
    Cheers.
    Tom.

Advertisement