Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax returns being retyped by hand?

Options
  • 20-12-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I rang my tax office this morning with a minor query about a Form 11 and they were very nice, and I have emailed them a correction. Full marks for efficiency, politeness, and expertise.

But in the conversation, I was told that despite the forms being in an OCR layout for automated reading, the data is still all rekeyed manually! Does anyone know if this is true? If so, it's hardly surprising that the occasional error occurs.

Having done OCR forms handling myself, I know full well that many people just scribble their values in handwriting and disregard the boxes. In those cases of course the data must be entered manually. Is the percentage of unreadable Returns to high that they have abandoned all attempts to automate the reading? Or is the volume of paper Returns now so small that it isn't worth automation any more?

Either way, if the data is being entered manually, and human error rate is still around the 2% mark, everyone who submits a paper Return should check their Assessment very carefully indeed.

Advertisement