Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas board Games

Options
  • 20-12-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

A Christmas tradition at this stage is a board game for the grown up Christmas night. Always good fun. Looking for suggestions. Have use pictionary and taboo in the last couple of years. Any recommendations ? A good laugh is the main criteria.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If you're in Dublin call into Gamer's World near Jervis St. Ask them for a game called Dixit.

Say there's five people playing, each has a hand of cards with weird/arty pictures on them. One person, the "dealer" says a phrase which describes on of his cards, and everyone else hands him a card that matches that phrase. That person then places all the cards face up, including his own. The players have to guess which card was the "dealer's." If everyone gets it correct, they all get points and the dealer gets none. So the description can't be too obvious. If no-one gets it right, they also all get points and the dealer gets none. So the description can't be too obscure. If some people get it right, and some people get it wrong, the people who get it right and the dealer get points. Also, the people whose cards were picked by the "wrong picking" guys get bonus points. So there's a reward for matching your card to the dealers description. At that point the dealer changes, the new person selects another card and phrase to describe it, and it goes around again. And it's the first to 30 points, I think.

It's a good game, the cards have wonderfully weird art on them. The descriptions people come up with can range from artistic ones, to literary or pop culture references, to plays on words, etc.. It gets you thinking but it's also fun to laugh at the cards and the descriptions people come up with. It's won lots of awards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Trivial Persuit.

I don't drink, so I always win. The trick is to make them play it late in the evening when they're well on.:)

Only games I have a good chance of winning get taken out in our house :D

How many of you is there? If you can make at least two teams of two people then Cranium is the way to go! I had a fake xmas a back in October for the brother emmigrating and Cranium was the game we played that evening with 7 of us. Never laughed so much! Highly recommend.

http://www.toys.ie/H08522-!106891-prd.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 19 luvly_gal

Who, What, Where is a great team game. I got it as a gift a few years ago and it is a firm favourite every year.
    Here is a link to it on ebay but I know cousin's of mine bought it on amazon after playing it here.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CLASSIC-GAME-PEOPLE-THINGS-AND-PLACES-FUN-PARTY-GAME-/260875830301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd69441d#ht_500wt_1287

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh I am liking these games...I got a few new ones for christmas but cant say cus he might see. But I still love Cranium with a good group and scrabble so much fun man i never thought i would say that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

the only problem in my gaff is it is two people only. and a lot of the games are team games or the like. makes life a bit difficult cos we love playing the games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My family play texas hold em every christmas, so much fun :)
    Though depending on how much everyone has drunk, there may be a lot of cheating. Still, a great laugh! and all you need is some cards and some pennys

Advertisement