Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Smoker/non Smoker Thread

Options
  • 17-12-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭

MOD: Starting this thread as the quitting smoking encouragement seems to have taken over the original thread. I'm moving all the smoking related posts to this thread. Smoking experiences in here now instead.

Dont normally make any resolutions either but this time around I will give the old fags a go...stopping them that is.

It wont be on new years eve/day either as I'll pick a date in January to hopefully stop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

muffler wrote: »
    Dont normally make any resolutions either but this time around I will give the old fags a go...stopping them that is.

It wont be on new years eve/day either as I'll pick a date in January to hopefully stop.

I wish you all the success in the world Muffler. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

All the best with it,
    I am on my fourth day of abstinence - which is the best I have done in 34 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

If you promise not to tell anyone over in my other forum I'll talk you through the one and only I gave up smoking cigarettes (almost) 8 years ago, why I gave them up.

I am a cigar (and occasional pipe) smoker and that is a very deliberate choice. I needed to break the habit of inhaling so I could enjoy a cigar properly.
    I stopped smoking completely for 5 years and then allowed myself to take cigars but only carefully chosen rather expensive and on an infrequent basis.

I could get myself banned in the smoking forum for this post. :D

Listening to people who 'are addicted' and have tried quitting 6 or 7 times before or rely on gum or patches will make your life a misery. Joining 'self help' groups is just replacing one dependency with another.

The only - ONLY - way to stop smoking is willpower.

You simply have to decide if you are a smoker or not. It's that simple. Either you are a smoker or you are not a smoker. There can be no middle ground.

The first week or so you have to deal with the physical craving for nicotine but in all honesty the craving for caffeine is a worse habit to kick. A matter of hours sees that flushed out of your system.

The bigger difficulty is the 'habit' You are in a routine of having your first ciggy at such a time and having one after your dinner and one while you are driving etc., etc.. You need to have something else to replace this. I smoked rollies and the ritual of making my ciggies was something I missed more then the ciggy itself.
    Get something that you can play with, something that lives in your pocket and you can distract yourself with. A yoyo is fun, a swiss army knife is destructive fun, a nail clipper and file is gentlemanly. :) Learning to roll a coin over your fingers is brilliant. Anything that distracts.

Remember that when you have a packet of ciggys in your hand that it's YOUR choice. You are or you are not a smoker. It's really that simple.

Oops, to get back on topic. I'm giving up drinking alcohol for a year.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Smoked my last fag on New Year's Eve about 14 years ago. In retrospect I, the car and workshop reeked of tobacco. Got really into the giving them up thing. Made up my mind the previous Easter and told everyone. Even so, I got 3 cartons for presents that Christmas :confused:. Sent off for the Government literature (which was posted on all the bus stops at the time) and avidly read everything about giving up. When the big day came ......... I had to keep putting the thoughts of inhaling nicotine out of my head every few minutes (used to go through about 55 a day and as a plasterer - with both hands working .......... kept the fags in my my mouth and even if I wasn't drawing on them, my nostrils acted as a chimney :D).
    Anyway, about 10 or 12 days later, I came back from work and realised that I had not thought of cigs that day. I emptied the ashtrays in the car, and workshop and gave away all the cigs. When people visit, I've no problem with them smoking indoors and if I know they smoke I put an ashtray closeby.
    So, best of luck muffler. Once your mind is really made up, it's quite easy.

My own resolution? Eat less ubiquitous junk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm off cigs for the second time. First time, was off them for about 5 years. Figured I was safe to have the odd one. The day I bought a packet, to pay back a friend I'd been scabbing the odd one off was the end for me. It wasn't the smoking, it was the buying that did it for me. This time I've been off them for 18 months.

I told nobody. People would offer me one, I'd say, maybe later, thanks. Took most people ages to realise that they hadn't actually seen me with a cig in a long time.
    Remember that when you have a packet of ciggys in your hand that it's YOUR choice.

Old Goat is right. Each cigarette is a choice. I just chose not to have that particular cigarette!

This year: lose some weight eventually. Go swimming again. More dancing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

I usually take something up as my new years resolution.. works a lot better than trying to give up something i find..

for next year i am thinking of taking up creative writing.

+1 on giving up the fags... first time i gave up for 18 months but i didnt really want to give them up so ended up back on them worse than ever...

second time i thought about it for a full year so when i eventually did stop smoking i had really made up my mind and it was so much easier.. went cold turkey and havent had a cigarette in nearly nine years :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was a 20 per day on the smokes for 16 years. I had tried cold turkey, patches, inhaler, gum, Alan Carr book you name it and figured I was destined to become one of those smokers with the oxygen mask in one hand wheezing and a smoke in the other.

I tried the Paul Mckenna hypnosis CD, and surprisingly it was successful. I had always subsituted food whenever I tried to quit before but this time around I wanted fruit and veg and water, and my weight remained stable. I think healthy eating was built into the hypnosis. I put it on the ipod and listened to it going to sleep for a few weeks before I picked my date to quit.

I smoked my last cigarette the day before my fathers months mind mass, and though it was upsetting, I got through it without a smoke, and continued on. I live with a smoker who continued to smoke in the house, and left cigarettes lying around and I never caved once.

I know though that I can never have a drag, or just the one. That was my downfall before.
    Best of luck to the ones giving the smokes the heave-ho in 2012!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

2 packs a day for 25 years,quit after a heart attack and several cardiac procedures (painful).

Good luck to all trying to quit

I should point out that there are two forums on Boards that may be of interest to posters here.
    Do not get posts mixed up between the two, read their charters before posting.
    Being pro smoking in the giving up forum and vice versa WILL earn Bans.
    Smoking
    Giving up Smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The easiest way to give up smoking is never start - it worked for me!

• Advertisement

Day 9 now and can see cigs were masking how boring life really is . A day is like one long sentence with no punctuation breaks.

Just passed the two wk mark today. I find it hard to believe but am taking Zyban tablets so don't know if it's down to them or me. Probably them.

Just passed the two wk mark today. I find it hard to believe but am taking Zyban tablets so don't know if it's down to them or me. Probably them.

Stay with it Pulsating Star and nicotine will soon be a White Dwarf on your stellar horizon (sorry, have been reading book on space exploration) :). I'd love to give a bit of advice but each person has to do it their way. Once you persevere and really want to quit, you'll get there.
    Congratulations so far.

Just turned a month today on my first day back at work.

Its one of those days I had been focusing on as a milestone so quite happy really.:):). Has to be a good thing even if i havn't seen any major health benefits as yet,taste has improved a bit. Was always waking every few hrs for a smoke so sleep is now less broken. Having some reaction to the medication ,at least I hope it's to the meds. Vision is affected, concentration on specifics is difficult but most worryingly my pulse gets very strong at times, I mean really strong. May have to bite the bullet and see a doctor this week.
    Bit of a nusience really as preempting heart issues is one of the main drivers to all this. Will be staying on the Zyban if I can because I think it's mostly down to it that I am still off the smokes. I dont recognise the person who is resisting. Must start getting some form of exercise in place to combat the weight gain and see where I am. Walking will be plenty to start with and hope to get a bike as well. As planned my world has been very small for the month. Stayed at home as much as possible! Spent a huge portion of it walking around the house talking to myself,really concentrating on resisting. Sounds mental I know but this time everything else was secondary to this goal and having a month off work over xmass with no distractions was too good an opportunity to waste.
    Sorry for going on but I had been really really looking forward to posting on the month date. The next two hurdles will be 1)my first serious crisis trigger point whatever that may be and 2)giving up the meds,going it alone.

If I stay off then I will post on the six month date and the year date only. If not ,you can imagine the "Hamlet Moment" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

well done

just a suggestion, dont make your next date so far away. Its an old technique but it works, one day at a time, take it in small chunks and its easier when things get tough

Just turned a month today on my first day back at work.
    The next two hurdles will be 1)my first serious crisis trigger point whatever that may be and 2)giving up the meds,going it alone.

If I stay off then I will post on the six month date and the year date only. If not ,you can imagine the "Hamlet Moment" :)
    Have just watched the Newcastle/QPR match and I'd advise you not to watch Superhoops for another couple of months or so as it may invoke the underlined above :D. As BBDBB and golden virginia will attest - we are slow burners (initially).
    Well done re the cigs. You'll get there OK.

Just to redress the balance of this thread on the smokers side this weekend I took great pleasure in relaxing with a pot of coffee and a rather fine Bolivar "Coronas Gigantes".
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Sad news.....end of an era....was in this shop a few times when in Cork...no t many of these left now....

http://thecorknews.ie/articles/end-era-3692

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I never heard of the shop before this. Did they only sell baccy then?

Advertisement