Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheques

Options
  • 20-12-2011 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Warning: potential stupid question alert.

I have a cheque with BOI made in my name from an employer. I also have an account with BOI but would like to cash the cheque instead of lodging it as quick access to cash would be handy for me at the moment instead of 3-5days waiting for it to clear in my account.

If I go to the bank that the cheque is issued from and have ID like my passport, can it be cashed there in that branch. I know I could do this with AIB before even though I held no account with them.The cheque qould be about 1000e.

Thanks,
    meta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Lodge it into your account and then make a withdrawal for that amount from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

harr wrote: »
    Lodge it into your account and then make a withdrawal for that amount from your account.

This may not work, it'll only work if the op has a prior agreement with his bank. Which it doesn't sound like he does.

To get cash instantly go to the bank whose address is on the cheque with id. Its usually in the top corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I have done it before with BOI,but the funds will taken back from your account if cheque bounces,which is the risk you take.But i am sure when you lodge a cheque into your account the funds are there instantly.As Anxious said the best way to cash it would be to go to the bank that is on the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... If I go to the bank that the cheque is issued from and have ID like my passport, can it be cashed there in that branch....

The answer is yes - unless the cheque is crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭RossieGooner

harr wrote: »
    I have done it before with BOI,but the funds will taken back from your account if cheque bounces,which is the risk you take.But i am sure when you lodge a cheque into your account the funds are there instantly.As Anxious said the best way to cash it would be to go to the bank that is on the cheque.

The funds are only available instantly if the account has been set up that way. It is not standard that funds are immediately available, usually you have to wait for the cheque to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Thanks guys, il go to the bank the cheque is issued from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The branch where you lodge it doesn't matter since all cheques are cleared centrally these days, I doubt very much that the branch will hand over cash given the number of forged drafts & cheques that are about these days.

If you have had an a/c for a while with the bank, lodge it in your own a/c and they should allow you to draw the money straight away, they probably won't if you're a student or the a/c is only a few months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I have my account over a decade, but it takes 5 days to clear in my account so how could i withdraw straight away?

Iv been told by BOI that they will cash it with ID, rang them before heading out tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Tow

it takes 5 days to clear in my account so how could i withdraw straight away?

They can set a flag/field on your account to give you instant access to lodged cheques.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tow wrote: »
    They can set a flag/field on your account to give you instant access to lodged cheques.

Correct, the same way they can stick a flag on your ATM card to to let you withdraw cash even if the machine is offline, it's a matter of trust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement