Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMT Abroad

Options
  • 19-12-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Howyiz. I recently completed an EMT course and I'm wondering if the qualification will stand to me in any way in Tasmania, where I'm emigrating to. (Long story.)

Any useful links, advice?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

good place to start would be http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

miju wrote: »
    good place to start would be http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/ambulance

Yeah tried them but didn't get much out of them. Rang them and they said to send in my details and they'd get back to me. They didn't get back to me.

I sent my CV into a job agency and they rang me about a private ambulance job and finally got somewhere.

To work on a (non-emergency) ambulance here you need a minimum Occupational First Aid Level 3 certificate. An Irish EMT qualification is not recognized as an equivalent (even though the skills matrix set is more advanced). Now, the job agency in question say that I'll probably only have to do a refresher course or possibly just the assessment.

More details to follow.

I realise that this thread has a fairly limited audience but sure I might as well post the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I realise that this thread has a fairly limited audience but sure I might as well post the info.

Judging by the queues at the work abroad expo in the RDS this weekend the thread may have a bigger audience than we'd expect.

The very best of luck to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Bang Bang wrote: »
    Judging by the queues at the work abroad expo in the RDS this weekend the thread...
    I turned on the TV and saw that long queue yesterday, and couldn't find the remote to find out what they were saying until it was too late. I nearly fainted when I learned it was just an Expo! Shocking, shocking stuff. What has happened to the land I'll always call home?

Anyway, sorry for dragging this off topic. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

It would be great if someone out there had info they could share for possibilities abroad.

I mean USA/Canada/Australia/NZ are the destinations of choice so it would be really handy to get an idea of the standards and what they require.

People are simply moving away in large numbers. Fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭adam88

Canada will accept our emt

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

That's a very vague statement to make, Canada's EMS is organised provinicially, and so each province has different standards and curricula for their EMS jobs. Lowest grade in Ontario for example is Primary Care Paramedic/Level I which would reciprocate to our Paramedic qualification here.

Also, the issue of experience is taken into account when applying to most countries abroad, simply having the EMT/P/AP ticket is no guarantee to being given reciprocity abroad - as is the case for applicants from abroad to PHECC here.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Shield wrote: »
    I turned on the TV and saw that long queue yesterday, and couldn't find the remote to find out what they were saying until it was too late. I nearly fainted when I learned it was just an Expo! Shocking, shocking stuff. What has happened to the land I'll always call home?

Anyway, sorry for dragging this off topic. My bad.

It's not your bad at all Shield. The fact is many young qualified ES personnel are actively looking for a way out of Ireland, another flight of earls for sure.

The Canberra authorities are very interested in talking to any Advanced Paramedics who would like to work as Intensive Care Paramedics in Oz.

Advertisement