Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Size Suitcase to bring to hospital?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Here trying to pack my hospital bag at the moment, but my small holdall is running out of space quite quickly and there is feck all in it so far. I dont want to look like a diva bringing a bigger case.

What are the rest of ye using ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Evonatron

Hi Future Baby!

My little one is 2 now so my own experience is quite awhile ago. I brought a large sports bag and a small bag as well. I was thinking the same as you and thought I was bringing too much and I then I thought feck it if I am happier with more stuff than I am going to bring it! Sure its only staying in the room under the bed,in the smaller bag I popped a few bits in for the labour ward (babygro,nappy etc) I brought twice the amount of nightdress/pjs/underwear just in case and towels. I was in labour for quite a while so prefered having changes at the end of the day you dont know what is going to happen and how long you are going to be in. Go in prepared (I think it was a girl guide in a previous life) and sure if you dont use it then great but at least you will not be caught off guard!!!

HTH

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You really don't need much and can get the hubby to bring in more stuff when you need it.
    I brought a small cabin sized suitcase and had room to bring some of the pressies home in it too!
    2nd time I used the same case but knew better what to bring too!

Bring a 2nd bag for the labour ward,with the essentials and then your hold all for the ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Future Baby

Thanks guys, Think I might bring the bigger suitcase, as I wouldnt be able depend on my otherhalf to bring in anything extra that I may need, as he wouldnt have a clue where to look if I needed him to bring something in to me. I would be able put the babies bag into the suitcase too, as Im sure it could get left at home by mistake. Sure I have my otherhalfs bag packed days ago, I have to make sure there are snacks and lucozade packed as he is a diabetic and I dont want him collapsing on me, may pack him a magazine or two, u'd sware he was the one doing all the hard work :)

What I was thinking of doing was putting the babies coming home outfit into the carseat, I have one for a boy and one for a girl as we dont know what we are having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Lay out stuff on the spare bed that you might need and then your other half will know where it is. I brought a small cabin sized bag each time for me and the baby. My partner brought clean stuff in in the mornings and dirty stuff home in the evenings and washed it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The clinic I'm going to told me I need two bags. One small one just for the labour ward (so you just need one outfit for the baby and little toilettry items for you etc etc). The second bag is for your room, where you can put the stuff you need for your whole stay. So I think I will just a little rucksack (schoolbag size) for the labour ward, and a small suitcase for the room. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Lay out stuff on the spare bed that you might need and then your other half will know where it is. I brought a small cabin sized bag each time for me and the baby. My partner brought clean stuff in in the mornings and dirty stuff home in the evenings and washed it all.

Oh yeah thats a great idea, my brain has gone to mush lately, he would bring the stuff home alright and then bring in what I need the next day. He is yet to find out where the washing machine hides out :rolleyes:, so the washing will be left for me until I get home. He is going to get some shock when this baby comes, his good days will be over!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I agree with Ivy about a having a school bag size bag for the labour ward. When I went into Holles St when my waters broke I had a huge gym bag as my labour bag. I was told it was way too big. When we went back in I'd downsized to a schoolbag size bag.

I agree with January about getting your husband to take home dirty stuff and bring in clean stuff. I was public and there were 8 beds on a ward that originally would have had 6 so I was really tight on space.

May I also suggest that you teach your husband to use the washing machine. This may be TMI but a lot of what I sent home were soaked in blood, milk or baby vomit. I would not have liked to have smelled it after 3 days sitting in a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I agree with Ivy about a having a school bag size bag for the labour ward. When I went into Holles St when my waters broke I had a huge gym bag as my labour bag. I was told it was way too big. When we went back in I'd downsized to a schoolbag size bag.

I agree with January about getting your husband to take home dirty stuff and bring in clean stuff. I was public and there were 8 beds on a ward that originally would have had 6 so I was really tight on space.

May I also suggest that you teach your husband to use the washing machine. This may be TMI but a lot of what I sent home were soaked in blood, milk or baby vomit. I would not have liked to have smelled it after 3 days sitting in a bag.

I'm going to have to agree with this, teach him how to use it before you leave and leave him strict instructions that what is taken home must be immediately put in the washing machine (run anything blood stained in cold water yourself in the hospital so it doesn't set)...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It maybe like m house he knows how to just chooses not to:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It maybe like m house he knows how to just chooses not to:)

Ah he knows how to use it alright, he just pretends he doesn't. Ah I'm sure he will surprise me, he is not the worst of them out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Trust me he will surprise you, the men get a new lease of life when they witness what the mother go through!! It's great, but it does wear off.

I also have a small sports bag, with a labour bag in it. I brough the bear minimum, as I hope to be home bery soon as long as baby doesnt get jaundice.

I had a good spot int he ward and a fair bit of room compared to the others but as the ward filled up there was bearly enough room for my bag and my hand bag, so I sent that home.

Best thing you can pack in your bag is a roll of carrier bags for bringing stuff home.

Thanks for that just threw the roll of plastic bags into my case too, that should be added to everyones hospital bag list!

Due this day fortnight, so the count down is on now, my family think I have 3 weeks left, as I don't want to have the pressure of phone calls and texts have you popped yet!:P

Ha, Ha, good idea. I've heard of a few people doing that, but I cant even remember when I am due, let alone another fake due date. Its great to have the bag packed and ready beside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

I remember seeing somewhere in a thread giving a suggestions what to pack for the pre labour and labour ward - can anyone direct me to this? Im 36 ish weeks and its about time i got myself organised.

I think they meant 1 bag for labour room and 1 bag for the ward after baby is born. So just a vest baby gro and nappy and nightdress for you, in labour bag etc and everything else in other bag.

Hi everyone, Just as well as I had my bags packed, one for baby, one for daddy and one for me as just as we were about to sit down to eat our Xmas dinner, my bump had different ideas, I def think it smelt the dinner and wanted to join us nearly 2 weeks early, totally caught me unaware, only my other half was here with me and packed me into the car I would have had my little man at home, as I was 6cm when I got to hospital! I just thought I had over done it doing the dinner. It's right that you get a burst of energy before you are about to give birth, as I had scrubbed the house the night before!

Anyway back to the bag packing, I ended up in theater for over 6 hours after I gave birth to my 9lb 7oz, 54cm little man , that I delivered all natural with no pain relif. Daddy had to spend all this time with the baby while I was down getting sorted, he did all the skin on skin contact, and dressed the baby. He hadn't eaten anything all day so at least I had some food packed for him too! Pack some bigger clothes such as vests and baby grows for the baby, as most of the ones we had packed wouldn't fit the baby and we had to send my father down to the shops the next morning to buy some bigger stuff! I didnt get to use any of my labour bag as everything went so fast. Moral to the story don't forget about the new Daddy and make sure he is packed too as you never know what might happen.
    Ps. Happy 2012 and best of luck to everyone!

Advertisement