Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

So we need your help. We are expecting our first child a baby boy in the beginning of March.

We are down to 2 names we both like Oscar and Colum. Now my worry is if we name our boy Oscar he is going to be called “Ozzie” (which I hate:eek:) do you think it is likely to be called Ozzie as a nick name??
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I love the name Oscar and wanted to call my son it but my husband vetoed it. Id never shorten Oscar to Ozzie but perhaps that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I'd never shorten Oscar either, it's a quick easy name to say so I don't think many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I've a friend Oscar and he's always Oscar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Colum always makes me think of column,I prefer Colm as the spelling ,no idea why!!
    Oscar is a lovely name from irish mythology and isn't very common but the downside to it is that it is also a commonly used pets name.
    I would go with Oscar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone op here again!!
    Thanks so much for your replys. I think we have a winner
    really like oscar!! and your comments made me so happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

awwwwwwwwww i love the name Oscar, but again, my other half has vetoed it.. but keeps throwing names from Lord of the frickin rings at me!!! :rolleyes: Thank GOD its not him and him alone thats picking the name! I really dont know how some marriages and relationships have stood the test of time where picking names are concerned. we have had some huge "discussions" about names :rolleyes:

Also OP, defo wouldnt shorten oscar to ozzy, and would break the legs of anyone who tried :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

awwwwwwwwww i love the name Oscar, but again, my other half has vetoed it.. but keeps throwing names from Lord of the frickin rings at me!!! :rolleyes: Thank GOD its not him and him alone thats picking the name! I really dont know how some marriages and relationships have stood the test of time where picking names are concerned. we have had some huge "discussions" about names :rolleyes:

Also OP, defo wouldnt shorten oscar to ozzy, and would break the legs of anyone who tried :D

My fella is big into plants. Now that would be grand if the baby is a girl, there are lots of lovely flower names for girls. But our baby is a boy, and he spent 2 weeks going through all his botany books looking for names you can take for boys...luckily there are only a few and I'm quietly vetoing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I dunno, I think Bilbo would be a cool name :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well, we had a dog called Oscar but he only ever called Oscar when he was bold. always called oz, ozzie or oz-meister.

i would think then he gets into teenagery - football years, he will become Ozzie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have a 10 week old Oscar... and the only one who shortens his name is his 23 month old brother.. os ... only cos he can't say oscar.. everyone loves his name.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Oscar is a great name. Im going to call my son Oscar when hr is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My name is oscar. I can honestly say it's never been shortened bar my wife calling me osc and very small children who cant say oscar and say oxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Such a lovely name for a boy, nice strong name.

We're in big trouble if we have a boy, he'll end up being called 'baby' til he's 15, just can not settle on a boys name! Unfortunately Oscar doesn't go with our surname!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

I love it. It's both cute for a baby and manly for a grown up. I won't use it as I have a bit of a lisp but if I didn't it'd be in the short list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Don't whatever you do go with Colum.....
    Colum sounds like Gollum - the creature from Lord of the Rings. You'll be giving bullies plenty of ammo with that one.

Advertisement