Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ejecting/Force sleeping INTERNAL drive

Options
  • 19-12-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I have 2 HD's in my macbook pro, an ssd and a high storage HDD. Is there any little status bar app that anyone knows of that lets me put the HDD to sleep when not needed (badly need to save battery!)? or any other ideas?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

What Operating System?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver
    [v] Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

Liameter wrote: »
    Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver
    [v] Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible

Yes but how do I choose when to do it?

The only certain way I know of is to dismount it. Otherwise the OS will put it to sleep only whenever it hasn't been accessed for a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Ok then how do I dismount and then re-mount it

From memory you right-click on the Disk's desktop icon and select "Eject".

To remount it you'd probably have to unplug it momentarily or use Disk Utility. The latter would admittedly be a pain but it's probably a trivial matter (for those who can) to create an AppleScript to re-mount it - especially as the name of the Hard Drive is known.

Liameter wrote: »
    From memory you right-click on the Disk's desktop icon and select "Eject".

To remount it you'd probably have to unplug it momentarily or use Disk Utility. The latter would admittedly be a pain but it's probably a trivial matter (for those who can) to create an AppleScript to re-mount it - especially as the name of the Hard Drive is known.

Yeah this is an internal drive so i cant just right click it...

Sorry, I misread your original description. Thought you had an internal SSD and an external HDD. In that case you can perform both operations using Disk Utility or get someone to write a script that will do those operations.

Advertisement