Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability Question

Options
  • 19-12-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

At an meeting attended by 8 men and 7 women.

1) How many different committees combinations could be picked from the above.

2) On how many of the above would there be an equal number of both women and men.

3) There must be more women than men on the committee, How many could be formed.

Thanks,
    manutd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How many are required on the committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Pherekydes wrote: »
    How many are required on the committee?

Sorry, 6 on the committe.

Thanks,
    manutd

The answer to the first part is 15 choose 6. I'm assuming you know what this means and how to calculate it?

Try to give a solution to the other parts and someone here will tell you if you are going in the right direction.

The answer to the first part is 15 choose 6. I'm assuming you know what this means and how to calculate it?

Try to give a solution to the other parts and someone here will tell you if you are going in the right direction.

How do you get 15, i don't know how to get it.

MMMMMM
    MMMMMF
    MMMMFF
    MMMFFF
    MMFFFF
    MFFFFF
    FFFFFF

That is all i know.

You need to know the part 1 to do the rest of it.

15 choose 6 means you have to choose 6 items, in this case people, from 15 items (8+7).

You should recognise this formula from your notes:

1928f752016eeb2c94f27269a14f7f47.png

You can apply this to the other parts, too.

The left hand side of that equation means "n choose k"

• Advertisement

15 choose 6 means you have to choose 6 items, in this case people, from 15 items (8+7).

You should recognise this formula from your notes:

1928f752016eeb2c94f27269a14f7f47.png

You can apply this to the other parts, too.

The left hand side of that equation means "n choose k"

what formula is this. Sorry, i can't find it. Is it the Permutations/ Combinations formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

its a combinations formula where k is the amount of objects ur choosing from n objects ie choosing 6 people from 15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

manutd wrote: »
    what formula is this. Sorry, i can't find it. Is it the Permutations/ Combinations formula.
    http://www.mathwords.com/b/binomial_coefficients.htm might help but I'm guessing the whole point is to understand combinations rather than plug in to a formula if you're not familiar with it. What are you studying?

Advertisement