Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs when they are wet !

Options
  • 19-12-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I've 2 westies about 1.5 years old ( sisters )

Whenever i get them home after been out walking and they are wet or when they get washed and they are wet they run around ( chasing each other ) for ages ... This is after I try dry them lol. they normally are close to dry when i left them free.

Also while i'm out walking and they are wet.. doesn't have to be raining .. just if the grass is wet they will run and chase each other ( always on leads btw)

Just wondering if there is a reason why they do this while they are wet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Running around gets them dry quite quickly, gets the air at it.

If they just lay down and curled up they'd be damp for hours. Just like going to bed with your hair wet or putting it up in a pony tail (only applicable if you have long hair!)!

My fellah does it as well, really funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My fella does it too, as soon as he gets out of the bath he runs around the edges of the room rubbing himself on everything, you've to catch him to towel dry him. Then let him downstairs and he again runs around the kitchen so I always let him outside to get that running out of him, goes mad running around, if it's a warm summer day I leave him out to dry but during the winter he gets the hairdryer. :D

Does it too if he gets wet on a walk, rubs and rolls all over the car to dry himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I thought my Jazz was the only lunatic wet dog!!!

Am so glad to see she's in good company :D
    We have to make sure that all the bedrooms and sitting room doors are closed when she's wet as it's much more fun to roll on the beds and couch then the towels and blankets :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I thought my Jazz was the only lunatic wet dog!!!

Am so glad to see she's in good company :D
    We have to make sure that all the bedrooms and sitting room doors are closed when she's wet as it's much more fun to roll on the beds and couch then the towels and blankets :p
    Anytime I wash my Jack Russell I towel dry him and let him out in the garden for a runaround. The little b****x always heads straight for the flower beds and rolls around in the mulch, leaving him as dirty looking as he was at the start.......but smelling a bit better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Must be a Jack thing, reckon they hate being clean :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

One of the things I noticed is that dogs are incredibly sensitive about water in their ears. We had a Yorkie & after a bath he'd run around with one ear to the gorund going in circles to shake any water out. I've seen other dogs do it too. I suppose if you've incredible hearing like a dog , its an instinct to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My fella does it too, as soon as he gets out of the bath he runs around the edges of the room rubbing himself on everything, you've to catch him to towel dry him.

Yes, one of mine does this too! If it's raining and I let them out into the garden to do their business, well he comes in as though he'd been scalded. He goes right under the table chairs, rubbing himself off them. He's not a big dog but he managed to knock one over the other night. I have to grab him and rub him down vigorously with the towel - about the only time I ever do 'grab' him as he's bounding past and the only time he's perfectly happy to be grabbed.
    Then I turn around and the other two are sitting looking at me as if to say, "if he gets dried off, then we get dried off!" but they all want to be dried off at once! I only have two hands and there's three of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've 2.. so it's twice as fun lol.. We dont let them outside when they are wet.. but we try towel dry them.. they run around so fast sometimes they dont look where they are going and run into things.. the other day she ran into a heater.. she didn't hurt her self..

Advertisement