Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 19-12-2011 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi There,

Im just wondering what you think about not using a current employer as a referee.

I am happy in my job and get on fine with my boss. But I am looking for a better op financially and I have a job interview coming up. I don't want to tell my boss, as I am worried that if I ask him for a reference he would treat me differently and then if I didnt get the job, I would have damaged the position I have with him. He is also my landlord- to make matters more complicated....

I have other referees who I could use, they are relevant and I know they would say good things about my work but will the prospective employer think that its strange and that I am not doing well in my current job.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

The person you are applying to will understand why you aren't giving your current employer as a reference. Just make it clear that it won't be a problem if you were offered the job but not before. On my CV I have the details but not the phone number.

Its not really a good idea to tell your current boss, they will look at you differently. There are very few occasions where you would let your current employer know you are actively looking for other employment; in your case I wouldn't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Perfectly normal and not expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Hey- thats great. thanks so much for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you're there a few years, then I think I would prefer to get a reference from your current employer. Especially if you've progressed in your role to the point where a previous reference doesn't mean all that much.

Are there any other managers who could give you a reference on the low down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Hey- I've been there about 6 months, I'm the manager and its just the owner that I am answerable to, its a small business and I want to move the position of manager in a larger business in the same industry, which would be more responsibility and more money (hopefully) .

• Advertisement

OK, if your previous job is as relevant as the current one, then a reference from the previous place should probably do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Always just put "References available on request" on your CV or application.

Refuse to provide a reference without a job offer. It's fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Agree with seamus.

I recently went for a job interview, having References available on request on my CV. Got the job offer, for this job I'd to fill quite a detailed application form, so now they can contact my manager/HR dept as I've made them aware of my intention to leave. Never mentioned a peep to the manager until I had the job offer agreed :cool: went for an interview before this, didn't get it, didn't need to bother the manager in that case :rolleyes:

Definitely agree with putting 'references available on request' - but it is worth thinking about who to ask for a reference if it does come to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do employers still look for two references?

What if you're working in one place for about four years?
    Nobody in college would remember me

I have my boss and that's it

Is one enough?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd say that would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A lot of HR people can be anal about "ticking the boxes" when the company has a policy of asking for two references. But if you just tell them that you only have one reference, they don't really have a choice but to accept that.

And if your boss is OK with giving a reference, maybe someone else at his or her level could also give one.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do employers still look for two references?

What if you're working in one place for about four years?
    Nobody in college would remember me

I have my boss and that's it

Is one enough?

Sometimes an academic one also, if you were at college... It's over 4 years since I left college, but one of the lecturers said I can always put him down as an academic one alongside the manager of my current job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

I was recently gained employment with a large organisation after a couple of months of being unemployed,so i didn't have that problem but i will say they did look for two references even though i was in my last employment over ten years and was laid off due to the downturn in the economy. I was with the employer before that one for nine years.They did ring the two of them.
    What will you do if you put were your working now as a reference when not after informing your boss they might be going to offer you the job and ring for the reference from your current boss and god only knows what he would say.
    I would think it is best to put two referees on it,I don't know how you will explain why you wouldn't put your current employer on it, it is bound to raise questions with a new employer would you do the same to them.
    In other words leave your employer know you are thing of moving on, you may want him as a reference if you want to move from your next job.

Advertisement