Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best area of civil engineering to pursue a career?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As a civil engineering graduate I am finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland. For this reason I am planning on moving to Australia after the New Year. I hope to get sponsorship so I can stay there for at least four years. I want to keep my options open so I don't want to pursue a career path which will not give me the option of coming home to work in a few years time. I have an interest in most areas of civil engineering and as I am only starting out I have not focussed in on a particular area yet. What area of civil engineering would be best for me to attempt to find employment with a view to keeping the possibility of coming home down the road when I have gained sufficient experience??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I guess it says a lot that 74 people have viewed your thread but no one has replied so far (i.e. people on the engineering forum are nice and don't want to lead you astray.... not that we're a bunch of @rseh*les :D)

IMO, structural and geotechnical engineering are two of the hardest civil disciplines and for that very reason you should tackle them early on in your career. Of the two, structural would (IMO) give you the best transfer to other disciplines.

You should try to get both design and site experience. At the start of your career you should (assuming you have a choice) follow jobs with good experience rather than good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Very difficult to know what area would leave you in a good position on your return to Ireland. I'm looking into others industries at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 snaqe

Thanks for yer responses. I know it was a difficult question to answer as it involves predicting how the economy will change and which areas will experience growth/decline. I am aware all responses are opinions and I will only use them as a guide for me.

Rcdk1 I was in the same mindset as you in thinking structural mite keep my options open. I’ve friends who found work in geotechnical in Australia so was considering following them. But I was unsure how widespread this type of eng was in Ireland or would it give me the option of transferring to another civil discipline.

Yourpics at the moment I feel like I am wastin my studies if I don’t at least give it a go. Maybe in a years time I will too be looking elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

You are absolutely right, give it a go and put all your studies and hard work to good use!
    In my case, due to personal circumstances, I cannot emigrate hence my career direction change

Advertisement