Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam warning

Options
  • 19-12-2011 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

thought that this would be worth a mention. I recieved 3 phone calls today from a guy informing me that there was something wrong with Windows on my computer and they needed to take some personal details. The accent was eastern by the sounds of it, anyways just be warned. Im sure there are many other threads on the same subject posted on boards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This scam has been around for ages.

How much did you pay him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

You should have asked him what he's wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

The accent was eastern

those fúcking jackeens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

3rd thread in the last 2 weeks iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

thought that this would be worth a mention. I recieved 3 phone calls today from a guy informing me that there was something wrong with Windows on my computer and they needed to take some personal details. The accent was eastern by the sounds of it, anyways just be warned. Im sure there are many other threads on the same subject posted on boards.
    OKAY listen up, best thing to do is say the following; "ta bron orm, an bhfuil tu in ann Gaeilge a labhairt?" works everytime :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

landline or mobile phone? Is your phone number registered/associated with a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That dude totally sorted out my computer. I'd recommend you trust him and do everything he says.

Foreign people can't be up to no good. You're not a racist are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TheZohan wrote: »
    landline or mobile phone? Is your phone number registered/associated with a business?

Have you tried turning it off and on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ah doesn't affect me, my computer doesn't have any windows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I know of a woman who doesn't even a have a computer, told one of them this and he rang her back the next day calling her a liar and that he knows she has a computer.
    My mother plays along with them when they ring. She says " oh my god! A virus!? Oh I hope you can help me get rid of it!....you can? Great what do I have to do??? Personal details? Hold on and I'll get my file with all my details...

She puts the phone hand set down on the counter and "forgets" about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Had the same thing a while back. He said "your windows machine has a virus and you must fix it" I engaged for a few minutes telling him i had a linux machine to which he said "no no its windows, you must fix" i laughed and hung up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

been going for years

Samich wrote: »
    Ah doesn't affect me, my computer doesn't have any windows :)

Is your computer my bedsit? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

If you have a bit of time to spare
    Tell him he has won the Ugandan lottery and you need his bank account details and sort code. See how long you can keep him on the line for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTFauI8INY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Anyone who falls for that scam, or any Nigerian lotto scam, quite frankly deserves to be scammed out of every penny they have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Microsoft will never call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I hope to get one of these phone calls for sh|t and giggles.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I know a guy who actually fell for this. Younger brother of an old friend. He was about 16 or so at the time so should have had some cop on. Luckily the older brother walked in halfway through yer man installing ****e on the computer and they were able to protect bank details etc.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is still going on lol, yet to get a call :P

Nick

the_syco wrote: »

The diarrhoea comedy people never call me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

the_syco wrote: »

I got one hefore. Well 3 of them, she kept calling back.

Had the craic taking the piss out of her for 45 minutes or so. She knew after a while she wasnt getting anywhere but stayed on the phone for ages!

Told her after ages that we didn't have the internet in Ireland or tvs and we went around on horse and cart.

She then said I know you have internet in Ireland but I said I lived on a little island but she called out my exact address the little bitch. She was calling from London. Dont have a clue how she got the details! She was desperate to know if I had facebook too for some reason.

Great craic all in all, she stayed on the phone for 15 minutes at the start while my 'slow' laptop started up that she was gonna fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

aint it time we just blocked all outgoing calls from india?

also when they ring you give them the local garda station number and tell them your daughter has the computer and that is her house number.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement