Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Broker insured wrong car

Options
  • 19-12-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering where I stand here, I received my car insurance renewal last week in the post, and noticed that the details on it are for a previous car. I had replaced my car in mid 2009 and changed over my insurance to the new car at the time.

I contacted the broker and they told me that I have been insured on the old car since my last renewal. I have searched for my renewal letter from last year, and the correct reg is on it, I also have a cover letter that was supplied by the broker as proof of insurance last January as my cert and disk hadn't arrived on time, again the correct 09CE reg is on it. I know I should have checked the Cert and disk when it arrived, but due to some delay it was mid February when it arrived and I was just happy to get the thing at last and stuck it in my window. (I had already been stopped twice by the Guards doing insurance checks and wasn't sure how much longer I would get away with the cover letter)

What I think happened (although I have no way of proving it) is that the broker made a mistake with my insurance form, or lost it, and following a few calls from me in relation to my missing disk, started the process all over again, but this time with the details of my previous car which they would have had on my history.

Either way I paid my premium for the correct car as per my renewal letter but was insured on the incorrect reg for the last year:mad:. This basically means that I have had no insurance for the last year, and I think I should be entitled to my premium back. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Do you think that if you had made a claim, the insurer would have been able to wriggle out of it? Or might you be here asking us how to force the insurer or the broker to accept liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

In fairness, you have no idea what happened at the back end of this process and therefore you are just speculating as to whether you were insured or not. I don't think you should be entitled to your premium back. If you crashed, you would have expected them to cover you, even if they made a mistake.

How would you feel if they sent you back your premium and said "you weren't insured last year, please find your premium enclosed" whilst simultaneously getting a fine from the courts fining you EUR2500 coupled with a summons? Would you think, well you know, I should have checked the disc, so I deserve this fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Do you think that if you had made a claim, the insurer would have been able to wriggle out of it? Or might you be here asking us how to force the insurer or the broker to accept liability?

If I had made a claim I am damn sure that the insurance company would have found a way to wriggle out of it.... I got my policy through a broker, the insurance company would have just said something like "you gave the wrong details or the broker gave the wrong details, either way you were not insured to drive that car on the day of the accident....etc" and I think that yes I would be here asking what my rights are in terms of me signing up for one thing, but the broker selling me something different.
    soddy1979 wrote: »
    In fairness, you have no idea what happened at the back end of this process and therefore you are just speculating as to whether you were insured or not. I don't think you should be entitled to your premium back. If you crashed, you would have expected them to cover you, even if they made a mistake.

How would you feel if they sent you back your premium and said "you weren't insured last year, please find your premium enclosed" whilst simultaneously getting a fine from the courts fining you EUR2500 coupled with a summons? Would you think, well you know, I should have checked the disc, so I deserve this fine?

In fairness I think my post points out fairly clearly that I am speculating as to what happened.... (I think....I cannot prove). I have read my policy document which states I am covered for any vehicle which I own or have hired through a HP agreement HOWEVER
    1) I must have given them the details of the vehicle which they must have accepted
    2) they (the insurers) must have a Road Traffic Act cert of insurance showing the index mark and reg number we have issued is still valid.

My reason for buying the new car in 09 was that my previous car was defective and after a drawn out legal battle was returned to the garage in exchange for the 09, so on two counts I am not insured....1) they dont have the details and 2) the reg number they have is no longer a valid reg.

If I had been caught for driving with the wrong cert and been summoned and fined then yes I would have pleaded innocence, but I would have also given myself a good kick up the behind for not checking the cert.

I think the words "entitled to my premium back" in my original post are a poor choice of words as I read back, I dont think the insurance company should be returning my premium, however I do think the broker should be saying "yes we made a mistake, we value your business and as a gesture....".

Look, I know I should have checked the disk, and will definitely be checking it from now on, but the broker made a huge mistake, and this put me in a serious situation legally which I am lucky to have gotten away with, both in term of not having a crash and also by not having been spotted by the guards. I think they should be making a gesture, but don't hold out much hope

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

So could I just ask who are you blaming for the mistake?

Because you seem to suggest that the broker made the mistake but you want the insurance company to compensate for the brokers mistake.

Perhaps you should be talking directly with your broker and asking how he/she intends to keep your custom e.g. how about a 15% discount on next years renewal? Asking for a full refund is just a little over the top imo and I could not see the FSO awarding you this in the event of a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a situation this year where my car broke down. I rang the recovery service provided by my insurer only to be told that it wasn't available as my policy was 3PFT only. I've always had comprehensive, so I knew this had to be a mistake. Anyway, the recovery service came and took the car, pending resolution of the issue.

I deal with a broker, so I spoke to them the next business day. My policy was indeed 3PFT on their system, but they could see that I had paid the premium for a comprehensive quote, plus I'd always had comprehensive before. The manager apologised straightaway, and immediately got in touch with the insurance company to get everything sorted and squared away. Couldn't have asked for better service.

Personally, as long as they correct it quickly, I'd be happy with that. Mistakes do happen after all - it's the resolution that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

johnam wrote: »
    ... I received my car insurance renewal last week in the post, and noticed that the details on it are for a previous car. ...
    I bet a pound to a pinch of sh1te I could Name That Broker - don't worry mods, I won't, even though I have responded to direct questions about them in other threads.

OP the safest thing you can do is leave them, If they are who I believe they are, they will only get worse. For peace of mind leave your money elsewhere.

Now I'm gonna sing you a little song that was a hit for Len Barry in 1965

"A-B-C (A-B-C) fallin' in love with you was easy for me (easy for me)
    And you can do it, too, it's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby
    Baby, there's nothin' hard about love
    Basically, it's as easy as pie
    The hard part is livin' without love
    Without your love, baby, I would die
    It's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby, yay
    One and one are two (one and one are two)
    I know you love me and oh,oh, how I love you (how I love you)
    Don't try to fight it 'cause it's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby, yay "

Kennie1 wrote: »
    So could I just ask who are you blaming for the mistake?

Because you seem to suggest that the broker made the mistake but you want the insurance company to compensate for the brokers mistake.

Perhaps you should be talking directly with your broker and asking how he/she intends to keep your custom e.g. how about a 15% discount on next years renewal? Asking for a full refund is just a little over the top imo and I could not see the FSO awarding you this in the event of a formal complaint.
    I blame myself for not checking the cert, but in terms of who created the problem, I blame the broker. I do not expect the insurance company to lose out, the broker should take the loss. They sold me a product which i accpeted, but then provided a different product. Having spoken to them today they state that I changed from my original car to my 09 in mid 2009 which is correct, but then they say that AXA decided by themselves (without input from either me or the broker) on Jan 2nd 2011 to change my policy back to the original reg. So although they issued me with a renewal notice for the 09reg the previous December which I signed and paid for, the broker decided that I had made a mistake in signing the new policy and went with AXA's reg (the old one) on my new policy on Jan 4th 2011. They did not ring me to check, they did not notify me of the change, they just changed it and issued me a cert. To be honest I do not believe AXA would have changed the reg on their own, and so I don't believe what the broker is telling me.

Spoke directly with them today for the third time.... how do you plan on keeping my custom....basically they dont believe in offering me anything more than the best rates that they can. I got better cover from Aviva online for €93 less than the best they could offer. So they have lost a customer.
    dudara wrote: »
    I had a situation this year where my car broke down. I rang the recovery service provided by my insurer only to be told that it wasn't available as my policy was 3PFT only. I've always had comprehensive, so I knew this had to be a mistake. Anyway, the recovery service came and took the car, pending resolution of the issue.

I deal with a broker, so I spoke to them the next business day. My policy was indeed 3PFT on their system, but they could see that I had paid the premium for a comprehensive quote, plus I'd always had comprehensive before. The manager apologised straightaway, and immediately got in touch with the insurance company to get everything sorted and squared away. Couldn't have asked for better service.

Personally, as long as they correct it quickly, I'd be happy with that. Mistakes do happen after all - it's the resolution that matters.

Insurance is now on the correct car, but no real apology was made, either in words, writing or by way of a discount. They have corrected it quickly, but in doing so they have lost a customer. It is not just about a quick resolution, it is about accepting responsibility which they refuse to do.

I have changed to a direct insurer, and will not be going back to the said broker, I will however pass on a complaint to their head office, and if I still receive no proper apology or explanation(I have given up on any refund/reduction) I will pass on my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, as i believe they will be able to find out who changed the policy without my knowledge.

mathepac wrote: »
    I bet a pound to a pinch of sh1te I could Name That Broker - don't worry mods, I won't, even though I have responded to direct questions about them in other threads.

OP the safest thing you can do is leave them, If they are who I believe they are, they will only get worse. For peace of mind leave your money elsewhere.

Now I'm gonna sing you a little song that was a hit for Len Barry in 1965

"A-B-C (A-B-C) fallin' in love with you was easy for me (easy for me)
    And you can do it, too, it's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby
    Baby, there's nothin' hard about love
    Basically, it's as easy as pie
    The hard part is livin' without love
    Without your love, baby, I would die
    It's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby, yay
    One and one are two (one and one are two)
    I know you love me and oh,oh, how I love you (how I love you)
    Don't try to fight it 'cause it's easy (it's so easy)
    Like takin' candy (like takin' candy) from a baby, yay "

Don't get the song ..... and can't find the reference to the broker.

Len Barry - Google is your friend. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Len Barry - Google is your friend. :cool:

Mathepac, please avoid insulting brokers! The company you are referring to were never a broker. Previously they were were a tied agent and now they are wholly owned by a large insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Spoke directly with them today for the third time.... how do you plan on keeping my custom....basically they dont believe in offering me anything more than the best rates that they can. I got better cover from Aviva online for €93 less than the best they could

I have changed to a direct insurer, and will not be going back to the said broker, I will however pass on a complaint to their head office, and if I still receive no proper apology or explanation(I have given up on any refund/reduction) I will pass on my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, as i believe they will be able to find out who changed the policy without my knowledge.

taking your argumentto it's conclusion, have you disclosed to AVIVA that you didn't earn NCB for the last year?

peteb2 wrote: »
    Mathepac, please avoid insulting brokers! ....
    Sorry. I am now suitably chastened and a reformed character, unlike some brokers or tied agents I know.
    ... The company you are referring to were never a broker. Previously they were were a tied agent and now they are wholly owned by a large insurer.
    I know that now, sorry again. They used to sell holiday insurance to Travelers to the Republic of South Africa, being Travelers themselves

Marcusm wrote: »
    taking your argumentto it's conclusion, have you disclosed to AVIVA that you didn't earn NCB for the last year?

That's not the only line of argument to think through; there is also the matter of making a statement to the Gardaí about driving without insurance cover.

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh1te I could Name That Broker
    Mathepac, please avoid insulting brokers! The company you are referring to were never a broker. Previously they were were a tied agent and now they are wholly owned by a large insurer.

Mathepac, I think you are wrong....
    Marcusm wrote: »

:rolleyes:I have been driving a car which hasn't had insurance, I do however have a policy in my name which earned a NCB. I do not have a problem with the insurance company, they provided the service which the broker asked them to, I do have a problem with the broker, they provided a service which they weren't asked to and didn't provide the service they were paid for.

If you went into a travel agent and booked a ticket to Sydney, Australia, but discovered when you landed that the agent had booked you a flight to Sydney, Nova Scotia, you can be damn sure you would be looking for your money back from the agent. The airline did nothing wrong, they provided the service they asked for, but the agent screwed up and should provide compensation, it doesn't matter if you enjoy your trip to Canada or not, it is not what you paid for.

In case you think I have just gone mad, this little rant is based loosely on a true story, but in the case of the true story it was the couple who booked the ticket that screwed up, not an agent. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2172858.stm
    That's not the only line of argument to think through; there is also the matter of making a statement to the Gardaí about driving without insurance cover.

Bet the guards would love to see that....can you imagine the queues that would form outside every garda station in the country if we all decided to make statements to the guards about each time we broke a speed limit or stopped on a yellow box:eek::rolleyes:

Bet the guards would love to see that....can you imagine the queues that would form outside every garda station in the country if we all decided to make statements to the guards about each time we broke a speed limit or stopped on a yellow box:eek::rolleyes:

If you want to take a stand on principle, you should be consistently principled.

If you want to take a stand on principle, you should be consistently principled.

what a load of horse....! I am making a stand based on the fact that their incompetence could have cost me dearly, as a service provider they owe their customers a degree of care which they did not provide........... Oh do you know what....lost interest now..... I have insurance with a new company, the incompetence of a certain brokerage has cost them a customer of 11years. I came on here looking for advice on where I stood, instead I got sarcasm, or stupidity I don't know which.:( I accept I made a mistake not checking the disk, the broker has offered nothing more than an "ooopps Sorry". Lesson learned by me, but I don't think the broker has learned anything and I feel that this could happen again quite easily as the broker doesn't seem to see the problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

A. You didn't have a claim

B. If you had a claim chances are the fact you paid premium in good faith, the insurance company probably would have accepted and transferred over the cover

C. Anyhoo you didn't have a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

what a load of horse....! I am making a stand based on the fact that their incompetence could have cost me dearly, as a service provider they owe their customers a degree of care which they did not provide........... Oh do you know what....lost interest now..... I have insurance with a new company, the incompetence of a certain brokerage has cost them a customer of 11years. I came on here looking for advice on where I stood, instead I got sarcasm, or stupidity I don't know which.:( I accept I made a mistake not checking the disk, the broker has offered nothing more than an "ooopps Sorry". Lesson learned by me, but I don't think the broker has learned anything and I feel that this could happen again quite easily as the broker doesn't seem to see the problem.

So the broker apologised and I presume rectified the situation straight away or as soon as the error came to light?

Yes,you should have checked your disc however due to you receiving it late,you didnt,that happens.

Yes,you should expect that information should be entered on your documents properly however the system that many broker use - Relay for example is a popular one - all the information is entered by the staff members.Probably hundreds of policies a month,mistakes occur from time to time,that happens too.

You would have been covered had anything happened aswell.It was the brokers error so either the insurance company would have stood over the claim or the broker directly would have to cop to it as it was their error.

As for the broker not seeing the problem,what do you want?The member of staff to be flogged publicly or something?You can bet your bottom dollar that who ever sent out the documents with the wrong information got an ear bashing because of the potential exposure to the company,just because you dont see it doesnt mean the company doesnt care.

I work in a customer focused industry, and know full well that if a customer came to us with a complaint of this nature, the staff member receiving the complaint would have dropped what they were doing and gone to get a manager immediately to deal with the customers complaint. On this occasion I received nothing more than a "ooopps Sorry" almost with a shrug of the shoulders as though they couldn't see the big deal. Obviously if they have come across this before they are aware, as you seem to be, that the insurance company would have stood over a claim, or the broker would have cover it if the insurance company failed to, however I was unaware of this, and was given no reassurance that the situation wasn't as serious as it appeared. The broker has tried to blame the insurance company for reverting back to a previous reg without their knowledge, but this is impossible as I changed my reg in 09 while insured with AXA in summer 2009, in 2010 I changed to ARB and the reg was changed sometime at the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011 after the time that my renewal was issued, but before I received my cert. ARB or my current insurance company would not have my previous car reg on their system and AXA would have no possible way of changing a reg on a policy which was expired for a year. The broker not only lost my trust in the quality of their service, but also lost my respect for not being able to say "it was our fault, we have taken steps to prevent it happening again", of course a gesture of some sort in terms of a partial refund or even a discount off my next premium would have been welcome, but instead I got a blank faced "oooppps" a half hearted "sorry" and a premium offer which originally was well over €100 more than I could get from aviva, reduced eventually to an offer which was €85odd euro higher than my other quote.
    So in short what do I expect... a public flogging....No. But an acknowledgement that the company (not a specific staff member) made a mistake would have been nice

Advertisement