Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid voluntary work

Options
  • 19-12-2011 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello there.

I was thinking about going around a few garages and asking to be taken on voluntary without pay just to learn a few skills as i have an interest in cars and need something to keep meself busy really (can't find work anywhere :() Would this effect my dole in anyway if i was to be taken on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,220 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The situation used to be that you cant do that kind of voluntary work without permission, and you are not likely to get that unless it is for a recognised charity.

It sounds a bit stupid till you remember that it would be impossible to know who was doing nixers and who was volunteering. Also you are not, theoretically, available for work. If someone saw you going in and out of a garage you could be reported, which would cause all kinds of hassle.

Anyway, sadly, you are not likely to be taken on as there would be all kinds of insurance issues about you being on the premises. Nice idea, but you may have to refine it a bit, say, through a government agency FAS, VTOS, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do some research on the JobBridge scheme - if you're eligible, and you can talk an employer into taking you on under this, you'd get E50/week on top of the dole.

Just be careful: the employer would be signing up to get 9 months of free labour. They may not be amused if you find a real job after a couple of months and leave. This may or may not matter to you, depending on how large your town/city is, and how well you know the employer.

Best of luck, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DidYouSquirt?

Awh yeah never thought about it that way. I'll look into it with jobbridge but probably wont get anything that way with all the registering they would need to do. Mechanic apprenticeships are like gold dust, was hoping to trade my time for knowledge to make it hassle free :(

Thanks a-lot to both of you

Advertisement