Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor trying to find employment

Options
  • 18-12-2011 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

As I am in transition year,I am trying to find a job to make money to support myself in school,college and beyond.
    I have absolutely no idea how to go about this.Same goes for when I can/cannot work,payment etc.
    So any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're in transition year, shouldn't your teachers and guidance counsellor be helping with things like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Helpmefindajob

JustMary wrote: »
    If you're in transition year, shouldn't your teachers and guidance counsellor be helping with things like this?

No.
    My school has practically washed their hands of us and is just trying to get through the year with as little damage to their rep as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,802 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.
    My school has practically washed their hands of us and is just trying to get through the year with as little damage to their rep as possible.

Wrong answer.

They SHOULD be helping. Perhaps they're not. Have you tried specifically asking them - esp, say, the guidance counsellor? Do it one-on-one, not in class when everyone's rioting.

Failing that, there are some links here, though they're not specifically targetted to getting your first job: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113326

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

JustMary wrote: »
    Wrong answer.

They SHOULD be helping. Perhaps they're not. Have you tried specifically asking them - esp, say, the guidance counsellor? Do it one-on-one, not in class when everyone's rioting.

I'd disagree. A guidance counselor or any teacher in fact wouldn't encourage secondary school students taking up part time work while studying. They would tell you to put all your time into study.

Best of luck OP. When I was in school I worked in the local butchers, a garage forecourt and the local tesco. Glass collecting in pubs too was always a favorite among my group of friends because as well as pay you get a few tips. It's not a good time to be looking in a recession but best bet is to get around (dont post them - they'll end up in the bin) to local businesses with a CV (get a good template online if ye haven't done it already as part of transition year). Also ask around - older siblings, neighbours etc that may be working locally. Someone might be able to give you some hours at weekends or evenings when their other staff are off or its busy.

So what you are saying is I should go to all my local shops personally (no emails,letters) with a CV in hand and just ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

So what you are saying is I should go to all my local shops personally (no emails,letters) with a CV in hand and just ask?

In a word yes.

Dress neatly, ask for the manager/owner and explain that you are looking for some part time work.

Make sure your CV has immediate contact details.

Best of luck.

SeaFields wrote: »
    In a word yes.

Dress neatly, ask for the manager/owner and explain that you are looking for some part time work.

Make sure your CV has immediate contact details.

Best of luck.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭lau1247

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this.Same goes for when I can/cannot work,payment etc.
    So any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

this might be useful for the 'can/cannot work, payment etc'

Link to Citizen information

Very useful site for all general information.. hope it helps

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement