Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taittinger NV vs moet NV

Options
  • 18-12-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

taittinger on sale in tesco at the moment is tempting me away from moet that my wife likes so i am wondering
    1 is there much of a diffrence
    2 what in your opinion is the best
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

In my opinion they are both very similar but I would probably go with the Taittinger, especially if its on offer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Tattinger would get a better rating from wine buffs and is probably nicer but I know from experience that a lot of people would assume Moët is good simply because it's one of the few they've ever heard of/tasted. Only buy the Tattinger if your wife isn't going to automatically assume it's no good cause it's not Moët, cause I've seen it happen at work (incidentally, we sell Tattinger, not Moët).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

thanks guys.

irish goat you pretty summed up my issue there. she wants the Moet as its all she knows and has a tradition in her house. for this reason i brought the moet (€36in supervalu balbriggan)

i like presseco in the sparkling wine department but this will do nicely as its christmas after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Love champagne and most other sparklers, but definitely no expert. In a Nicolas shop in France a few years ago at a champagne sale I was told that Moet et al are a brand and that there are much better and much cheaper bottles available. Moet is marketed as a premium brand and is rarely good value in France or elsewhere. I bought and still buy when in France Mallard Premier Cru for about €20, often of offer for €16, Odd Bins also stock this.

To my mind cava and crement offer much better value here in Ireland. Superquinn do an excellent crement which is often 1/2 price at €9 and Aldi do an excellent sparkling Chardonnay at €9.99. Even the boring Jacobs Creek guys do a decent bubbly especially the rosé.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Moët produce 26 million bottles a year. Because of this it is just bland muck that is produced but they have a huge marketing budget behind it.

Look out of wine award stickers not a fancy box!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

I got the tattinger cos it was on offer - it seemed to be everywhere this christmas.
    It was very drinkable with good small long lasting bubbles.

I do prefer the light sweetness and the price of prosecco though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

afatbollix wrote: »
    Moët produce 26 million bottles a year. Because of this it is just bland muck that is produced but they have a huge marketing budget behind it.
    This is true of most of the big names. They buy from 30+ vineyards and blend until they have something that conforms with their "taste". Look for 'grower champange' which leaves the vinyard in bottles. It's the real deal and usually not as expensive.

Advertisement