Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with 1210

Options
  • 17-12-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi all not sure if anyone can help me.

i have an old set of 1210s the thing is one of them has become really low as in the sound is really low compared to the other one, i do not have a clu why this has happened does anyone have an ideas for me please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

did you check stylus?headshell?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Thanks for the reply, yeah i even went out and bought a brand new head..

begginiging to think it might be the mixer as its kinda old. my head is wrecked tho

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Thanks for the reply, yeah i even went out and bought a brand new head..

begginiging to think it might be the mixer as its kinda old. my head is wrecked tho
    Rule out the mixer by just connecting the deck up to an amp/hi-fi(phono/aux) directly. If both work the same, then it's the mixer. Swap channel inputs, etc.

Process of elimination, should narrow it down for you.

Rule out the mixer by just connecting the deck up to an amp/hi-fi(aux) directly. If both work the same, then it's the mixer. Swap channel inputs, etc.

Process of elimination, should narrow it down for you.

Thanks bobby as u can prob tell im new to this, but i tried to use a different mixer and all i got was feedback

No panic, I'd say your setup might be a bit off. Keep the levels down lowish while testing (don't want to feck ur speakers ;)). Double check that your 1210s are going via the phono (not line) inputs for whatever mixer channels ur using. Actually leave the amp & speakers off and test with just headphones off the mixer.

What mixer do you have?

Also my knowledge here is fairly old, haven't gigged myself in 10 years and the gear that I have is older again ;) but for safety sake start at the deck, then introduce the mixer with headphones, then amp & speakers.

• Advertisement

Ah crap sorry OP just spotted you said you tried a "different mixer". It's a little odd that you got a completely different result using a different mixer if the deck is at fault.

No panic, I'd say your setup might be a bit off. Keep the levels down lowish while testing (don't want to feck ur speakers ;)). Double check that your 1210s are going via the phono (not line) inputs for whatever mixer channels ur using. Actually leave the amp & speakers off and test with just headphones off the mixer.

What mixer do you have?

Also my knowledge here is fairly old, haven't gigged myself in 10 years and the gear that I have is older again ;) but for safety sake start at the deck, then introduce the mixer with headphones, then amp & speakers.

the original mixer i used is this

View2?id=8446232

the mixer i used when i got the feedback was this

GEMINI%20PS-04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Ok I must have written this post a hundred times now in different ways, but here you go:

1) Swop phono inputs to the mixer. If the issue stays on the same mixer channel number, it's a mixer channel issue.
    2) Swop headshells between decks. If the issue stays on the same deck it's a deck issue.
    3) Swop needles between headshells. If the issue stays on the same headshell it's a headshell issue.

Diagnose in that order.

Ok I must have written this post a hundred times now in different ways, but here you go:

1) Swop phono inputs to the mixer. If the issue stays on the same mixer channel number, it's a mixer channel issue.
    2) Swop headshells between decks. If the issue stays on the same deck it's a deck issue.
    3) Swop needles between headshells. If the issue stays on the same headshell it's a headshell issue.

Diagnose in that order.

Thanks for the advice, but i put each deck into my hifi and the one that is a problem is still very low. so does that mean i can rule it out being a mixer problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Not being a smartarse here, but the best answer I can give you is "probably".
    Follow my above advice, it will tell you exactly where the problem is, and will only take 5 minutes to do.

It's most likely it's a deck issue. In that scenario a simple cable change would suffice in the majority of cases.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, but i put each deck into my hifi and the one that is a problem is still very low. so does that mean i can rule it out being a mixer problem
    It is very likely the deck is the problem and the mixer is ok.

Use different phono leads and/or replace heads, and check again. If problem persists, deck is most likely fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Here m8, have a browse through this guys channel,he's got some great informative and helpful vids for this sort of problem (amongst ohers)

http://www.youtube.com/user/viperfrank?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase

Hope you get it sorted! good to see peeps coming back to the original set up!! Respect to those who rock decks!

Advertisement