Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance - Rottweiler crossbreed

Options
  • 17-12-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to find a company that are willing to offer pet insurance on a Rottweiler/Boxer crossbreed. I had been insured for the past 2 years with a certain company but yesterday I got a letter from them which I thought was my renewal but it turned out to be a letter from them stating they were not willing to insure a crossbreed of any type of dogs which they had listed. The Rottweiler was on the list. I was looking around some companies online today and they had the same list that they weren't willing to insure.

So now I'm looking for any info which I can get from people here, for companies which you are using to insure Rottweilers.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Allianz are the only pet insurance company in Ireland that I know of. If they are your current insurer, I don't have an alternative for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

allianz have no problems insuring restricted breeds. try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My rotties are insured with petinsure.ie with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

+1 on petinsure.ie
    As a matter of interest, what company has refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

How would they know for sure what breeds are in a crossbreed? Can you not just claim your dog is a pure mutt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We're with allianz and when we added lexi to the insurance we just put her as a crossbreed, they didn't ask what she is a cross of.

planetX wrote: »
    How would they know for sure what breeds are in a crossbreed? Can you not just claim your dog is a pure mutt?

you could but if its crossed with a restricted breed, something happens and they somehow find out then your insurance would be void.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I wouldn't advise insuring with any company besides petinsure or Allianz as many others don't cover all conditions anyway or may not offer life coverage (for example, for diabetes or arthritis). Never had a problem with either of those 2 companies. Besides, how will they know what sort of crossbreed you have? Yes, something might look rottie-ish, but they don't have a way to prove it to refuse cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

you could but if its crossed with a restricted breed, something happens and they somehow find out then your insurance would be void.

how could they ever prove it though? Short of ordering a DNA test.:confused:

true.. but you know what insurance companies are like! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

andreac wrote: »
    My rotties are insured with petinsure.ie with no problems.
    axle108 wrote: »
    +1 on petinsure.ie
    As a matter of interest, what company has refused.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, problems with broadband. It was petinsure.ie that I was using last year. I'll try and get in contact with them today and If they dont want to take my money for the new year i'll happily go back to using Allianz.

The reason they know what breeds are in the cross is because I signed up with them at a kiosk in a shopping centre and the girl filling out the forms asked about the breeds involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you sure about them not insuring rotties? There is nothing on their website policy terms about it. Rotties are on the select breed list alright but it doesnt saudi anything about not insuring them.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I had been insured for the past 2 years with a certain company but yesterday I got a letter from them which I thought was my renewal but it turned out to be a letter from them stating they were not willing to insure a crossbreed of any type of dogs which they had listed.

What are the other crossbreeds contained on the list.

andreac wrote: »
    Are you sure about them not insuring rotties? There is nothing on their website policy terms about it. Rotties are on the select breed list alright but it doesnt saudi anything about not insuring them.

Thats what I was wondering about but all the letter says is they are unwilling to provide insurance for a crossbreed of any of the types listed. Perhaps pedigree dogs are different, i'm unsure.
    axle108 wrote: »
    What are the other crossbreeds contained on the list.

The dogs listed are:
    Cane-Corso
    Fila Braziliero
    Perre de presa canario
    Pitbull
    Shar-pei
    Dogo Argentino
    Japanese Tosa
    Pit bull terrier
    Rottweiler
    Staffordshire Terrier
    Wolves andd wolf hybrids

that's basically the restricted breeds list. ive never heard of any companies refuse to insure any dog except a pitbull :confused:

can you give us the exact wording of the letter? it sounds like someone made a boo boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Shar Pei is on that list, but not on the restricted breeds list, wonder if thats because of health issues with the skin folds?

GSD or ridgebacks aren't on the list, but are on the rb list.

I think if I had a dog on the RB list and was insured with them, I would be checking my policy very carefully. I hope this isn't a new policy they're introducing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We have our staff cross insured with allianz, she is classed as crossbreed and that's all. Same as our yorkie cross. When we were adding lexi onto the policy I rang them and asked if there were any difference adding her as she is a RB but they said no. Could this affect our claim we have in now or am I ok?

I've been on the phone to them and the girl on the phone said the letter should have stated that it is the American variants of certain dogs on the list, and that my dog was marked as being of the American Rottweiler breed. Now i've no idea what the difference is between American and i'm presuming european breeds or if there even is a difference. She said she would look into it a bit further and get back to me.
    that's basically the restricted breeds list. ive never heard of any companies refuse to insure any dog except a pitbull :confused:

can you give us the exact wording of the letter? it sounds like someone made a boo boo.

I dont have the letter to hand at the minute but it basically just says that in the new year their under-writers would be changing and that is what has brought this about and that theyy would honour the remainder of the policy but not beyond that.

all sounds very strange.

give allianz a try. when they asked me for breed i said staffy. they insured her and they hadnt got another word to say on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

markc1184 wrote: »
    I've been on the phone to them and the girl on the phone said the letter should have stated that it is the American variants of certain dogs on the list, and that my dog was marked as being of the American Rottweiler breed. Now i've no idea what the difference is between American and i'm presuming european breeds or if there even is a difference. She said she would look into it a bit further and get back to me.

I dont have the letter to hand at the minute but it basically just says that in the new year their under-writers would be changing and that is what has brought this about and that theyy would honour the remainder of the policy but not beyond that.

That sounds very worrying.

American variants though? What on earth are they on about? No difference at all, a Rottie is a rottie, people import and export dogs all over the world, just because its born in one country rather than another doesn't mean its a different breed.

• Advertisement

they are just KC type standards within the breed. the german rottie is bred to a more blocky & squareheaded standard, the american is a little taller, longer and leaner. means nothing outside the show ring so i dont know why insurance companies would differentiate :/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I have my akita and bully insured with petinsure.ie and no problems? As ISDW said, there is no such thing as an American Rottweiler, there's definitely something up there.

they are just KC type standards within the breed. the german rottie is bred to a more blocky & squareheaded standard, the american is a little taller, longer and leaner. means nothing outside the show ring so i dont know why insurance companies would differentiate :/

Thats my understanding too. As for the insurance, i'd be arguing he's a crossbreed that conforms to neither KC type standard. I mean without papers he has no lineage, which means there could be any sort of cross in him. Very strange?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

I cant understand how there can even be a list of dog breeds or crosses which they wont cover.I mean a dog is a dog. I have my bully insured with petinsure.ie and there wasnt a bother.

Advertisement