Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I tell how much 150mb data is in web access

Options
  • 17-12-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

on my smartphone?

Is there a method, say 1mb per page or something like that or....how does it all work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I presume you're with O2? 150mbs is a very small amount so where possible you should use wifi.
    It's very variable, pics on a site flash etc... What device do you have?
    A high quality (HD) youtube video could be bigger then 150mbs if it's long enough. A song could be 2-10mbs in size depending on quality and length.

There are apps to help you monitor data but use them with caution and treat them as a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Am moving from "3" and their supposed "all you can eat data", I'd eat all the data I could if I could get access !!! Anyway that's another story !

I'm looking for options, I have a Samsung Galaxy S, I can use wi-fi at home etc so that won't be a problem.

To be on the safe side would I be best looking for a SIM only package with 700mb? I've no problem going on Bill pay but not willing to pay anything for a phone, when I already have one.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubg

It's very little. I'm on o2 prepay. Top up by 20 a month and then buy 700mb for 9.99 out of my 20. I find it good for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vicwatson wrote: »
    Am moving from "3" and their supposed "all you can eat data", I'd eat all the data I could if I could get access !!! Anyway that's another story !
    Meteor will give you 1Gb for €15 a month and minutes and texts as well.

What is your average monthly eatage nowadays on 3 ....assuming you can get a service on occasion?

What is your average monthly eatage nowadays on 3 ....assuming you can get a service on occasion?

Haven't a clue, I was on a 60 euro per month job, for all you can eat, but the thing is I never got to eat anything !! As the reception where I live was so bad really the only way I got use of the data was via my wi fi (or someone elses).

I guess I need to know what the best sim only plan is as I have a phone, would prob need low call amount (need landline calls), about 350 texts per month and as much data as possible without going over the 60 per month.

I checked callcosts.ie but it doesn't include data in it's analysis :confused:

Thanks for help thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Avoid o2 then if you plan not to go over a data allowance.

Tesco mobile do 10,000 calls 10,000 texts and 15GB of data for €70 a month even for the extra €10 it's well worth it other than been scammed by o2.

Or if you didn't want to spend an extra €10 a month they have 1,000 calls 1,000 texts and 2GB of data for €50,

jay93 wrote: »

Tesco mobile do 10,000 calls 10,000 texts and 15GB of data for €70 a month even for the extra €10 it's well worth it other than been scammed by o2.

Or if you didn't want to spend an extra €10 a month they have 1,000 calls 1,000 texts and 2GB of data for €50,

Is that on a SIM only plan with Tesco or? Who's network do they piggyback on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They piggyback on O2, so you should be ok for signal. Have a look at their website for details of all their sim-only plans. Some tasty tempters there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

vicwatson wrote: »
    jay93 wrote: »

Is that on a SIM only plan with Tesco or? Who's network do they piggyback on?

Thanks

Yep they are sim only plans :)
    With Tesco you will get service from the 02 network which has fairly decent coverage around much of Ireland,
    With Tesco you get the benefits of having signal from o2 but paying less for much better deals than the current o2 bill pay plans. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Download a free app called 3g watchdog ..it runs on ur main screen n shows a usage icon . When selected it shows all d info u need n i fint it pretty accurate

• Advertisement

In general are SIM only plans cheaper/better value than signing a contract?

in general yes. depending on the network there may be anything from 0, 5 or 10 euro per month off a sim only plan when compared to the same plan on contract

cookie1977 wrote: »
    in general yes. depending on the network there may be anything from 0, 5 or 10 euro per month off a sim only plan when compared to the same plan on contract

Is this a bit nonsensical though? Surely it's better for a mobile phone provider to have you tied to a contract and be guaranteed X amount over giving you a sim only deal that you can get out of in 30 days:confused:

not really as with a sim only plan you're not taking a subsidised phone so you're not costing the network much. and at a later stage you might upgrade and then enter a contract

Cookie do you know if Tesco are the best SIM only packages out there at moment? Is their network exact same as what one would get with o2 ?? Cheers

well what ever you do get some free pre pay sims from the networks and test out the signal where you live work and play. personally if signal is good i think three have the best sim only plans for my needs. meteor have a very good one too as does tesco. vodafone do not really offer sim only plans comparable to their contract plans rather they have other sim only plan

edit: tesco use the o2 network yes

personally if signal is good i think three have the best sim only plans for my needs

Signal is muck with 3 hence me getting off their network.

If I get say a SIM card off Tesco, Meteor and Eircom Mobile do I literally just put the SIM in and I'll be able to use away on it for free ??

as long as your phone is network unlocked, yes

should add though the pre pay sims wont come with credit but you can see if the 3g signal is good without making a call

cookie1977 wrote: »
    as long as your phone is network unlocked, yes

should add though the pre pay sims wont come with credit but you can see if the 3g signal is good without making a call

Cheers for your help

no problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement