Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rescue staffy - then and now

Options
  • 17-12-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭

just wanted to show off my gorgeous girl's progress from shelter to 4 months at home :)

this was the first time i saw her at the shelter. looking lost and very hungry. she had already had a litter at a very young age and was handed into DSPCA by some kind soul who found her tied to a tree by a steel cable :(
    she was very timid but still friendly and loved to walk around the shelter just smelling everything and worrying cats
    dolly.jpg

this was her first weekend at home. still very underweight and looking bewildered. she wouldnt eat anything but chicken, wouldnt eat a treat even if left alone with it and she had no ideas what toys were or how to play with them.
    dolls.jpg

this is dolly now. 4 months later and up to a very nice 20kg! she eats like a horse and has figured out that a rope with a knot at either end is possibly the most fun in the world! :D
    IMG168-01.jpg
    IMG167-01.jpg
    IMG156-01.jpg
    IMG159-01.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

ahhh shes lovely, never thought about a staff untill now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

eimear10 wrote: »
    ahhh shes lovely, never thought about a staff untill now!

i might be just a touch biaised but you couldnt get a nicer dog than a staffie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Aw, she's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

She's fab OP :)

thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I know you've posted pics of your dog on another thread and I meant to post there just to say - I love your dog!! She is absolutely gorgeous, don't know if it's her colouring, her breed (I do love a staffie!) or her expressions, but there's just something about her that melts my heart a little (and that was before you posted her back story!)

she is definitly turning out to be quite the looker too. she gets attention everywhere she goes. only yesterday a big lab took a shine to her and tried to mount her :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

She's beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Oh, I've been squeeing over how gorgeous she is every time you've posted a picture of her, OP, and now that I know her story, I have to say all credit to you first for taking her in and secondly for all the minding you've given her. She has come on so much!

She has such beautiful poise in the pictures with her coat on. Wishing you both many happy & healthy years together!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

She is gorgeous. I have only had limited contact with staffys but i think they are great. They are on my wish list. I will have one sometime in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

did you have her up in perkys garage a little while ago?

did indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What a beautiful healthy and happy dog.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

did indeed

thought I recognised herself. I was talking to you about her on the day. really is a beauty. off topic, you had asked me had I seized my polini yet. think you jinxed me I seized it twice that week.

told you it would happen! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

That's a lovely little staffy, you have done a fine job with her OP. I'm biased too but they really are a great addition to any family

out and about worrying squirrels in the park again :)
    IMG177-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Great jacket, very stylish.

dollface.jpg
    IMG153-01.jpg
    IMG118-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

This has given me a huge smile. Thanks for posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

out and about worrying squirrels in the park again :)

Ha! Ours chased a squirrel half way up a tree one time - it was impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

She is stunning. A beautiful little face on her. Well done. Love to see pets that are made to be such a huge part of the family. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Where did you get her coat? It's adorable!

And I love those ears- very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My sister-in-law works up there, I remember her telling us about this gorgeous staffie who came in. So glad to see her doing well, catching all your facebook updates on her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

a good job well done damagedtrax.

seamus wrote: »
    My sister-in-law works up there, I remember her telling us about this gorgeous staffie who came in. So glad to see her doing well, catching all your facebook updates on her. :)

who's your sis in law?

sure arent all the satffies that come into dspca are gorgeous! i had my eye on 2 before i met dolly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Can any of the Staff fans explain why they get such a bad press?
    (Lovely animal, BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

who's your sis in law?
    I'd prefer not to say publically ;)
    Gophur wrote: »
    Can any of the Staff fans explain why they get such a bad press?
    In the UK they passed the Dangerous Dogs Act in response to media hysteria about the threat posed by dogs towards children. What was happening was that scumbags were using particular breeds for fighting and attacking people, pit bulls most notably, treating them poorly and generally acting like scumbags do. When the scumbags friends and family would come over, the dogs would on occasion lose the plot and attack someone, because that's what they're been trained to do.

The Dangerous Dogs Act basically made it illegal to own certain breeds. If they were found, they were destroyed.
    So in order to get around this Act, scumbags simply switched to breeds not included in the act, notably staffies. So this then, coupled with a dramatic rise in dog attacks in the UK (yes, after the Act was brought in to reduce them), caused Staffies to get a bad reputation.
    The Act itself actually caused a dramatic rise in ownership of all the banned breeds and a rise in dogfighting in the UK - the bad reputation, coupled with the fact that they were now illegal, meant that more scumbags were attracted to the dogs and dogfighting as something which they should be doing.

The Restricted Breeds list has had a similar, though less dramatic effect here. The fact that the breeds aren't banned means that scumbags don't have to go out of their way to break law, but our general consumption of UK media means that the reputation has carried across, and many Irish people are idiots about the whole thing.

another problem is that staffies are loyal, fearless and eager to please their owners. they generally wont start a fight but they certainly wont back down from one either. even though they are small/medium sized dogs they have very well developed jaw muscles. they can be quite game and need to be treated with proper respect like any powerful dog.

in the wrong hands this can be a bad combination. if some little scumbag teaches their staffy that aggression is a good thing then the staffie will do everything to please.

staffies need quite strict rules and training but they also need to let off steam. its finding the right combination of all 3 that gives you a good stable staffie.

unfortunatly our stupid RB laws prevent a staffie letting off the steam it needs to because it must be on a lead. this alone is a clear indication that whoever drew up the list had no clue about what makes a good, stable dog.

same goes for a lot of other breeds on the RB list. a pitbull thats never allowed to run mad and let off steam could easily turn into a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

shes in great condition now. makes me smile seeing a sheltered dog turn out so good :D

Advertisement