Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to transfer TV shows from UPC dig recorder?

• 17-12-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have the standard UPC digital recorder.

I'd like to keep some TV shows permanently, just like in the old days when we built up a video tape collection of some all time favorite shows! You could always buy a new VHS tape right!

The digital recorder would be the same (with better quality and lack of clutter) if you could just transfer the shows to more permanent hard drive storage!

I've rang up UPC and they said theres no way of doing this at present! Wonder is it simply so there is more control over what we do with the TV shows (like not putting them on youtube etc.)

And I think I'm right in saying that the dig box I have is the property of UPC and rented, so tinkering with it when its not your property would not be the best idea...

I saw on a earlier thread where someone had another model of dig recorder, so my question is, does anyone know anything about this or perhaps is there a dig box we can buy and use instead of the UPC one that would allow this function?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

UPC cust care told you a load of rubbish. You can do it 2 ways. Easiest way is to save them via a dvd recorder on to a dvd.Tune the UPC signal into one of the channels on the dvd recorder. Other way is if your TV has a usb socket and allows saving a prog via the usb, then you can save any prog to a hard drive. Either way, you will have to actually watch the prog you are recording. Hope all that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bikefreakvinnie

Thanks for that Kristopherus, I'm goin to try saving a show using a usb which is on my TV! That could be what I'm after -nice one!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just make sure that you use the best possible type of connection to your DVD recorder from the UPC box.

If it's a HD box, connect the HDMI cable to the DVD recorder (if possible).

If it's a standard box, just make sure that the picture settings are WideScreen 16:9 and that that you're outputting RGB not PAL signals.

Then hit play on your UPC box and record it to DVD as if it were a TV broadcast.

You can get a HDMI splitter that will allow 1 HDMI output to be split to two TVs or a DVD recorder + TV etc etc.

They can be sourced online for >€10.00 with a bit of googling.

Don't worry too much about insanely high priced cables. They're really not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Is there any way to improve the original recording quality of the upc box? It's ok for direct playback on a telly but deteriorates significantly if captured from the composite output. I'm using the RGB setting as recommended by you Solair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is there any way to improve the original recording quality of the upc box? It's ok for direct playback on a telly but deteriorates significantly if captured from the composite output. I'm using the RGB setting as recommended by you Solair.

Well, composite video where all the information is carried in a single analogue signal i.e. PAL, NTSC or SECAM i.e. all three colour signals are merged into one.

RGB is component video, Red, Green and Blue colour information are sent separately. It's still analogue, but is much less likely to distort or lose information.

Really the only way you can ensure no picture degradation is to use a digital input i.e. HDMI.

Component video i.e. RGB connection would normally be made using a SCART cable in European systems, or with 3 separate phono cables in the US

Where a SCART is used, you need to select RGB on both the UPC box (output) and probably on your DVD-R too as both composite and RGB signals are carried on SCART cables on different sets of pins. Check the settings on the DVR to ensure that it's matching the UPC box i.e RGB 16:9.

Also check the DVD-R for any recording quality settings. It could be using high compression or something.

Simple composite video is often connected using a single yellow phono connector or it's modulated and sent via an RF connection i.e an coax cable from an antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Trying to do this with a Sony rdr hx750.
    My tv has 4 hdmi, av in av2 scary and 1 av rgb!
    The DVD recorder has line 1 decoder scart, line 3 (tv) scart, 1 hdmi and a coaxial port. Which ever way I plug these in I can't get a signal via my tv/UPC box. Any ideas?

My tv also has USB ports, Samsung 6 series but I can't seem to find the option if I'm able to transfer over/record via USB, am I missing something obvious with all this? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Dunno if this is your problem but I found a switchable scart plug (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Adapter-Switchable-Plug-Socket/dp/B00077DC6A) to be invaluable when connecting upc box to recorder or pc. Very cheap from Amazon or Power City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Cheers for that, might grab a couple of them. I have a media player that records off an Ariel which basically turns my media player into a saorview box. I'm thinking if I mess about with the cabling and hook the UPC box up through this I may be able to record off it. I'm guessing the digi box card might be an issue but I'll try and see if I can figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Strontium Dogg

I have a media player that records off an Ariel which basically turns my media player into a saorview box.

I've got a RDR HX750 too how do I use it with Saorview?

Advertisement