Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinionated computers

Options
  • 17-12-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭

Rant rant. Have you noticed how opinionated computers are getting?

C 'We are going to download this nice shiny new update onto your computer'

Me: no, not now I'm busy, and anyway last time you downloaded something it crashed everything

C Well I'm going to do it anyway, please click the 'go ahead' button

Me: Where is the 'don't go ahead' button

C There isn't one :p

Me: Well I will just click the 'close window' cross *click*

C Ha ha, here I am again, you don't get away that easily!!

Me: aargh, I would do a forced shut down but I haven't saved the work that I now can't get at...

And so on...granted thats a bit of a mish mash of situations, but that kind of stuff seems to happen a lot more than it did. One of the most irritating is the whole ' would you like to link through Facebook?' or six other options that I am not interested in.

No.

Well in that case you are going to have to do an advanced application and sign the official secrets act.

Oh ok, I will do the Facebook bit.

Right, now you have to sign in to Facebook again and give your mother's maiden name and address and what she had for breakfast.

Oh - *abandons website*

Skype really annoyed me when it updated me (without asking, and made a hash of my computer) then cheerily took over my camera, put up a picture of me sitting there looking irritated and asked if I would like to use it as my profile pic. :eek:

More ranting, but that will do for now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Wonderful post, and it is so true. I am sorry but I couldn't help laughing at it all. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blackworld

Lols! Funny, me too can't help to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Funny but also true.

And also with adverts that sometimes appear even though the pop-up blocker is on.

And I hate these ads that if you happen to go over them with the mouse that get large and take over the screen. There is one, on Yahoos main site, that has the sound of money falling into a bucket or something - while I'm trying to read the Yahoo news. The only way around this is to turn the sound off. I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That was a hilarious post looksee and I empathise. Been there and done all of that as well. Pain in the b.side. Eventually this will make me turn the contraption off permanently, damn their eyes!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

C > Restart Now or Restart Later
    Me> I'm in the middle of a poker game, go away
    5 mins later
    Me> I'm still in the middle of a poker game, go away
    5 mins later
    Me> Are you stupid? I said I'm in the middle of a poker game, go away
    5 mins later
    Me> Which bit of go away can you not compute
    5 mins later
    Me> Go away
    5 mins later
    Me> Ok then fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> P1ss off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me> Fcuk off
    5 mins later
    Me busts out of tournament after so much distraction
    Me > Fcuk you, I'm getting a Linux box next
    C > Your poker site doesn't support Linux
    Me > Fcuk you, I'll show you who is boss
    C hits ground 4 storeys later, smashing stuff
    Me > Better get a new computer

Still no where near as nasty as this bastard
    Hal-9000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Best giggle Ive had all day Looksee :pac::pac::pac:
    Sorry :o

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Drives me potty.

You know whats worse? UAE, User Acces Control.... its a freakin' nanny. Its like having your mother living in your computer. Its ok if you want to embrace the bomb and live as MS says you should but dear god if you want to do ANYTHING administration wise or against their "suggested solution" it has a freak.

Turning it off meant hacking my own ini files and registries to rip the f*cker out of the heart of my machine so it would do WHAT I BLOODY WELL TOLD IT TO AND YES I *AM* SURE.

Its the computer equivalent of needing a note from your mammy or agreeing to a million disclaimers so you can do what you like with the hardware you bought.

nggggh. Drives me potty. If I brick my own laptop, its my fault, I'm a big boy and I will pay the price but please please please stop asking me if I'm sure or stopping me from doing something you think "might make your system unstable".

</rant>

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like to mess with the 'puta's head every now and then and say 1 when I mean 0. They hate that.

I have an old 286 still running on some archaic DOS version crunching numbers (slowly). Does my heart good to negotiate the system without using GUI's, mouse or any webbiness. Green screens and blinking square cursors are soothing.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

HAL's Attitude problem.

Dave's revenge.

Love the talking bomb in Dark Star ( greatest scifi film ever ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

HAL was born with a psychotic personality and a superiority complex just like our PC's today, and he/it couldn't sing for nuts!! His attempt at singing 'Daisy' was dismal and I was glad to see the end of him, though I'd just have taken a hammer to him. Just as well he hadn't entered for the X Factor! :D I laughed, Vincent Price-style, all the way through the clips above. On the other hand, I did have some favourite computers, like Huey, Dewey and Louie in Silent Running and they starred alongside one of my favourite actors of all time, Bruce Dern. I never saw Dark Star, but this clip makes me want to see it. Thanks for putting them up here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement