Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As an adult (23) is it possible to widen right side of jaw?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I read the charter, not looking for a diagnostic, just looking to do a bit of research before I get more serious about this.

Currently my bite is aligned too far to the left side. The left side feels wider than the right side. When I bite on my left I feel pressure in my ear. I can't get a satisfying bite on the right. When I relax my jaw I feel my top and bottom canines on the right side touching and the lower left canine just about sits under the left central incisor. In this relaxed position I feel this is where my lower jaw should slot in, not be obstructed by the top canine. I think my upper jaw on the right side is too long and narrow compared to the left. Does anyone know if this can be treated and how this would be treated? Thanks

ps. my teeth aren't crooked or anything. They're mostly straight. I think it's just a misaligned bite. I had braces when I was a kid where I think they reinforced the misaligned bite rather than fix it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sound like you should consult a orthodontist to see what can be done, anyone from 12-120 can have braces however at your age it will be quicker to move teeth than at 36. You can find a list of registered orthodontists here http://www.orthodontics.ie/

If braces are not an option or will only get you some of the way there there is the option to place artificial prosthesis like crowns, inlays, inlays etc. on the teeth to improve the bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Lateral Cross Bite sums up what I think I have. Thanks for that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

I have a question if you don't mind answering.

Is a lateral cross bite fixed by making the lower jaw conform with the upper jaw or by expanding the upper jaw to allow the lower jaw to bite in comfortably?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Hi there

It is usually the upper that is widened. Lower expansion is harder and less stable. We cant really give you a lot of info Croga so the best thing to do is see an orthodontist.

Sometimes the bite can be corrected by braces alone - a dental crossbite. Sometimes it needs surgery - a skeletal crossbite. Sounds like you have a skeletal problem but no way to know without seeing you.

good luck

Advertisement