Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

requirements for motor caravan

Options
  • 17-12-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

guys hey, i have a 70 series landcruiser, same as this,

1zb5d8k.jpg

im considering putting a pop top roof on it, and registering it as a camper. you guys are gonna know a lot more about the ins and outs than i do, really i know very little about it so be gentle! lol. the Germans are mad about making campers outta these things,

InnovationKJ73a.jpg

i looked into it a bit before, i read that in Ireland to qualify as a camper you need to able to stand up in it and it needs to have cooking equipment and a toilet? not sure about the toilet. am i being rediculous thinking about doing this, i am going to kit it out as an overland vehicle anyway, much as i have my current one, so i was thinking if i went the extra mile my tax would be cheaper, im not sure it theyre test exempt anymore...

any and all info appreciated,

thanks for reading,
    Redd .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Redd4 wrote: »
    guys hey, i have a 70 series landcruiser, same as this,

1zb5d8k.jpg

im considering putting a pop top roof on it, and registering it as a camper. you guys are gonna know a lot more about the ins and outs than i do, really i know very little about it so be gentle! lol. the Germans are mad about making campers outta these things,

InnovationKJ73a.jpg

i looked into it a bit before, i read that in Ireland to qualify as a camper you need to able to stand up in it and it needs to have cooking equipment and a toilet? not sure about the toilet. am i being rediculous thinking about doing this, i am going to kit it out as an overland vehicle anyway, much as i have my current one, so i was thinking if i went the extra mile my tax would be cheaper, im not sure it theyre test exempt anymore...

any and all info appreciated,

thanks for reading,
    Redd .

Great idea. I am not certain but I don't think that u require the old 1.8mtrs of height any more. So it would possible to make this a camper. U will need a cooker, but I can't be sure what else, so I will just wait until someone more knowledgable comes along.

But I hope u keep us posted on ur project. It sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

See HERE it's a link to the relevant section of the Revenue site.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

ah cheers, thats great. just gonna paste this in so i can stare at it...

..must be constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

seats and table,
    sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
    cooking facilities, and
    storage facilities.

again theyre back with the VRT, pack of bleeps :) may ring them up and see what they think my wagon is worth, its an import and was never sold here or in the UK.

do motorhomes go through a doe these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

...................do motorhomes go through a doe these days?

Some do, at the moment some owners get the test done for peace of mind, it's a matter of personal choice but currently it's not a legal requirement.

cheers. the car is 1990 so ill need an engineers report at any rate. to that end if anyone knows of garages in the vicinity of Tipp, Limerick, or Waterford that'd be great. ive been doing a bit of reading on here, im just wondering if anyone can answer me, where the insurance companies stand on the 1.8 meter rule, or lack thereof anymore?

regards,
    Redd .

• Advertisement

ok so Coleville Hunt in Clonmel will do the engineers report, looking at about the same money as a DOE which I'm very pleased with.

I rang Dolmen and they said the 1.8 meter rule is out the window, so thats no problem, but they were a little sceptical about the notion of a landcruiser as a campervan. I assured them its quite popular on the continent, not so much here, so they said, forward us on some photos of your proposal, and we'll have a look.
    so ill get about that soon.

the only fustrating thing so far has been the VRT people in Tipperary, I cant get though to them, uggghh those automated reply's really annoy me, especially when theres no purchase at the end.
    I was told to leave my phone number and theyll get back to me. so ill wait and see i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

the only fustrating thing so far has been the VRT people in Tipperary, I cant get though to them, uggghh those automated reply's really annoy me, especially when theres no purchase at the end.
    I was told to leave my phone number and theyll get back to me. so ill wait and see i guess.

Don't waste your time. VRT will amount to whatever the revenue officer assigned to your case decides its worth on the day. No point in asking for a guideline figure or anything.

yeh they rang me and explained the process, seems kindof... random.. but anyway... more disappointing was dolmen, who dismissed the landcruiser right away. i sent them photos asking what what modifications would be required and they said -

This vehicle would not be eligible for our campervan scheme.

The definition of a campervan is that is must have a permanently fitted equipments such as a sink and 2 ring cooker, provide temporary sleeping accommodation and have a walkway from the front to back of the campervan. The only converted campervans that would be acceptable on the scheme would be the like of a converted Ford Transit or similar vehicle with all the above items fitted.

so although size isnt mentioned at all in the regulations, theyre biased toward bigger vehicles. which is understandable i suppose.

Advertisement