Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Search inspiration

Options
  • 16-12-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi I am interested to hear the experiences of other people in terms of their recent job hunting. I have 8 years experience in the IT industry with a Masters recently acquired. I have been out of work the past 3 months. To be honest I must say I have been naive in thinking that it might not be such a hard task for someone with good skillset but so far this has been one hard slog! Been to at least 10 interviews so far (some taking me through 3 rounds process) but no result as of yet!

Whats worse is listening to people being interviewed about the skills shortages for jobs in IT - I am not seeing this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Have you got any feedback as to why you have not succeeded at these interviews.
    Are you going for the right jobs.
    What is your strategy for getting a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

franco25 wrote: »
    Hi I am interested to hear the experiences of other people in terms of their recent job hunting. I have 8 years experience in the IT industry with a Masters recently acquired. I have been out of work the past 3 months. To be honest I must say I have been naive in thinking that it might not be such a hard task for someone with good skillset but so far this has been one hard slog! Been to at least 10 interviews so far (some taking me through 3 rounds process) but no result as of yet!

Whats worse is listening to people being interviewed about the skills shortages for jobs in IT - I am not seeing this!

I was like this too, I thought - how hard can it be?!!! You don't realise until you are in the thick of it how hard it can be.

Only advice I can give is keep at it and don't lose hope (even though it is hard after so many rejections). Always ask for honest feedback and use that feedback.

Research companies you would like to work for and target them specifically with a letter/email containing all you can do and what you can offer them.

Also,make sure you are signed up to the recruitment agencies in your field as this is where I eventually got a job, oh and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

Only advice I can give is keep at it and don't lose hope (even though it is hard after so many rejections). Always ask for honest feedback and use that feedback.

Research companies you would like to work for and target them specifically with a letter/email containing all you can do and what you can offer them.

Also,make sure you are signed up to the recruitment agencies in your field as this is where I eventually got a job, oh and good luck!

Yeah you are completely correct and I have tried not to give up hope i.e. it is on me to get me out of this! In terms of feedback, I find this very hard, i.e. some interviews even getting to the final round - recruiters will not have the decency to contact you back to say why you didn't get a job! So far some recruiters have been extremely unprofessional to deal with! i.e. it is like they are more upset about you not getting the job then you are!

Also I feel that the interviews have been worthwhile in terms I have learned something from each one and have received positive feedback in how I have conducted myself but for final decisions communication is coming up short!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

franco25 wrote: »
    Yeah you are completely correct and I have tried not to give up hope i.e. it is on me to get me out of this! In terms of feedback, I find this very hard, i.e. some interviews even getting to the final round - recruiters will not have the decency to contact you back to say why you didn't get a job! So far some recruiters have been extremely unprofessional to deal with! i.e. it is like they are more upset about you not getting the job then you are!

Also I feel that the interviews have been worthwhile in terms I have learned something from each one and have received positive feedback in how I have conducted myself but for final decisions communication is coming up short!

Recruiters can be like lawyers - 99% give the others a bad name :D Not sure where you are located but I found these guys quite good to deal with http://www.collinsmcnicholas.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

Recruiters can be like lawyers - 99% give the others a bad name Not sure where you are located but I found these guys quite good to deal with http://www.collinsmcnicholas.ie/.

Many thanks, will give them a shot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement