Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sonicare toothbrush

Options
  • 16-12-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

My dentist has advised me to get a sonicare toothbrush rather than the traditional toothbrush?
    i checked them up on the web and they seem quite expensive..are they really worth the money...
    what's so great about these toothbrushes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Consider the basic Oral-B models as well, I've been using them for a few years and they're excellent. Sonicare would be at the upper end of the price scale so if you really want to buy one, take a look at Amazon or these sites, you could also considering holding off until January when there may be special offers in Boots, this week wouldn't be the best time of the year for bargains!

http://www.freshbreathonline.co.uk/
    http://www.toothbrushdirect.co.uk/
    http://www.smilewithstyle.co.uk/

The recommended time for an electric brush is two minutes, try to buy a model that give you a vibration or audible signal every 30 seconds which will allow you to give equal time to the four surfaces - upper/lower, inside/outside. Apologies if they're not the correct dental terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The sonic care is an excellent toothbrush however its is pricey and the replacement heads are expensive. Any brush can do a good job if used effectively. A bad technique with a 90 euro brush will yield worse results than a good technique with a 99c telco value brush.

Some dentists recommend electric brushes and best to listen to your dentists advice as it is customized to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

thebourke wrote: »
    My dentist has advised me to get a sonicare toothbrush rather than the traditional toothbrush?
    i checked them up on the web and they seem quite expensive..are they really worth the money...
    what's so great about these toothbrushes?

I just bought the sonicare hx6972, it is advertised in argos catalogue at approx €280, but was actually €130 on their computer system. They had none left in the couple of stores I went into, but I was able to reserve it in Enniskillen Argos, and picked it up on my way to Sligo yesterday, got it for £99.

Turns out they gave me the older hx6937-10 model, and they had none left in store to exchange them with (about an hour later), luckily the girl working the customer service desk in Sligo Argos was helpful and changed it for me.

I haven't used it, I bought it for my g.f, so I just thought I'd give you a heads up on the price, in case you were worried by the massive price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

I recommend the Oral B 1000 it's reasonably priced (€40 with the current promotion) and has the most desirable features eg oscillating head, pressure indicator, timer and easy to find relacement heads.

However as Fitzegene said it's all about how you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've had two Sonicares and the battery loses the ability to recharge very quickly, within 2 years. I've had an Oral B for much longer.

They both do a great job, thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement