Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i cash a 'Cheque or Order' at the Branch of Issuance?

Options
  • 16-12-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Received a 'cheque or order' that isn't crossed etc.

Can i cash this at the branch it was issued? (Bank of Ireland) or even at other branches?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Depends really, if you have an account with the bank they might do it, if not I doubt it as you could have just found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You have to remember what a cheque is: it orders the bank on which it is drawn to pay money. So yes, if it is not crossed, you can cash it at the bank on which it is drawn. In this context, banks treat branches as being separate units, so it is not easy to get Branch B to honour a cheque drawn on Branch A.

If you are not known there, it is reasonable for the bank to ask for proof of identity.

Advertisement