Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temping agencies

Options
  • 16-12-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of getting work through temping agencies?

My sister is moving over here in January and hopes to get some sort of office job. She worked in an office back home as a clerical officer. She sent her cv to Reed, Adecco and Office angels but never gets any responses (both sending her cv to sign up with the agencies and applying to jobs advertised on their sites.)

How do they work- do they send you for interviews in places or just send you straight out to work?

I work with teaching agencies and they seem to work differently.

She'd like to have a job lined up within a week or two once she comes over. Thanks for any info anyone can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

ICANN wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience of getting work through temping agencies?

My sister is moving over here in January and hopes to get some sort of office job. She worked in an office back home as a clerical officer. She sent her cv to Reed, Adecco and Office angels but never gets any responses (both sending her cv to sign up with the agencies and applying to jobs advertised on their sites.)

How do they work- do they send you for interviews in places or just send you straight out to work?

She'd like to have a job lined up within a week or two once she comes over. Thanks for any info anyone can give.

I had good success with carefirst.... They did have some office type jobs when I was on their books last year do worth checking out their awful website and contacting them. Carefirst.biz
    No joy with all the big agencies at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I had good success with carefirst.... They did have some office type jobs when I was on their books last year do worth checking out their awful website and contacting them. Carefirst.biz
    No joy with all the big agencies at all

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

She would probably get better rates with some of the private agencies. She should call the likes of Huntress, ROC & Tate up, tell them she would like to go in and register and take their typing tests etc.

Another thing she could do is look on sites such as totaljobs, monster, reed etc...look at jobs she is interested in, and then registering with those agencies too. Good luck to her

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Thanks a lot for those names both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I was working through Poolia, which subsequently led to a permanent position. They do lots of office-based roles. I dislike all temping agencies and how they exploit staff, but as far as that goes for all of them, this lot didn't seem too bad and were administratively quite on top of it and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Naomh

Also worth trying Bis Recruit, they sometimes provide us with temp staff and we have had a couple of girls over from ireland who found them good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

My other half used Robert Walters (http://www.robertwalters.co.uk/index.html) when she used to come over for the summer during uni and found them quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Thanks for all the names lads, very much appreciated!

Advertisement