Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative dance magazines

Options
  • 16-12-2011 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Do any DJ magazines in Ireland or the U.K. cover dance music that isn't considered mainstream e.g. no boy racer/clubland classics kind of stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Ireland used to have a magazine called "Slick DJ", which despite marketing itself pretty heavily at the boy racer market did cover a lot of pretty interesting music, thanks to a very open minded editor and contributions from all sorts of heads. Went out of business a few years ago though, sadly.

Droid (of The Fear and Ruff Revival) used to run an amazing publication called Woofah which covered Jungle / Dancehall / Dubstep / Reggae / UK Garage and Grime; if you can get your hands on any of the back issues then you should because it was really awesome.

In the UK I think they're basically left with ATM who cover DnB, Dubstep and Grime, the Wire who to be fair are more focused on experimental stuff with a little bit of dance music thrown in. DJ Mag are decent enough too, Knowledge stopped printing and moved online recently enough (and have been utterly **** and irrelevant since).

Mixmag is just tits 'n pills stuff, and has been since 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I got shafted by DJMag last year. Paid for a trial subscription, cancelled it one day late, so they billed me for the full year. Asked for a refund, no go, so I said thats no problem send them anyway. Never saw a single copy and could never get a response out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

DJmag is pretty decent. If you have your heart set on a 'dance' magazine then that's the one to go for.

Alternatively, you could try a few websites (perhaps you have already). They're free, and for my money the content is as good, and at times, better.

Resident Advisor is a good place to start. Their own content is very good, but also check out The Feed in the top right-hand corner. This is news/content from other websites. Always worth checking out. Basically, there's a dedicated blog for just about every genre and sub-genre of music, all run by fanboys and people on the inside. The Feed is a good way to discover them. Get used to checking them out and bookmarking your favourites. Very soon you'll have a list of places to go for info, reviews, free music and everything else.

FACT is also very good, although it's broader than Resident Advisor, and focuses more on experimental/leftfield stuff.

Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Good shout for RA and FACT above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Groove magazine is pretty good if you're arsed with german. The wire is good but a bit anal. Sound on sound is interesting. And computermusic is too. But I think a lot of the english language electronic music magazines are poor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement