Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Credit Card Query

Options
  • 16-12-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You are right about their policy.

Is it possible that you used your credit card there and the assistant didn't notice that it wasn't a debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

My guess is that the card readers are not programmed to reject credit cards (perhaps the software does not allow it). So it falls to checkout staff to take note of what card you offer. I imagine somebody was reproved for accepting a CC in error.

My Mastercard and my Laser card have similar colour schemes - enough difference so I don't confuse them, but a busy or distracted checkout assistant might once in a while fail to distinguish between cards.

Obviously, asking your partner is the next thing you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

My guess is its a surprise getaway for ya !!

http://www.lidl-breaks.ie/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the merchant's policy is not to accept credit cards then the payments processing company (Realex, Elavon etc.) which provides the chip and pin gadgets at the checkouts will be told so, meaning that there no way that a CC will be accepted at the till, the machine will simply reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

coylemj wrote: »
    If the merchant's policy is not to accept credit cards then the payments processing company (Realex, Elavon etc.) which provides the chip and pin gadgets at the checkouts will be told so, meaning that there no way that a CC will be accepted at the till, the machine will simply reject it.

Officially Lidl accept debit/laser cards only.
    CC will go through on the Lidl machines but what can happen is that the customer will put the card in the machine themselves before the store assistant can see what type of card it is (some consumers are very protective of their card and would rather not hand it over) the transaction will then process as it would normally do with a laser or visa debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I went to use a cc in Lidl by mistake before and the terminal rejected the transaction so I presume the terminals or they have a system setting to rject them. They do now take visa debit though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

They cannot charge you extra for incorrectly using a CC instead of a debit card.

Is your CC MasterCard or Laser, the machines are programmed to reject creditcards, but occasionally the might get confused between Visa-Credit and Visa-Debit.

Your CC card company might be able to tell which LIDL branch the transaction occurred in.

enviro wrote: »
    Officially Lidl accept debit/laser cards only.
    CC will go through on the Lidl machines but what can happen is that the customer will put the card in the machine themselves before the store assistant can see what type of card it is (some consumers are very protective of their card and would rather not hand it over) the transaction will then process as it would normally do with a laser or visa debit card.

No it won't, stores like Aldi and Lidl rely on technology, not people, to implement store policy when it comes to electronic payments. The chip and pin machine will talk to the payments processing company's computer system and it will be told to reject the payment - that card is not accepted in this store.

No it won't, stores like Aldi and Lidl rely on technology, not people, to implement store policy when it comes to electronic payments. The chip and pin machine will talk to the payments processing company's computer system and it will be told to reject the payment - that card is not accepted in this store.

See my post above... The card WILL work but is not accepted by the company. The payment will go through. I have seen it happen at least twice. The customer will sometimes put the card in themselves without the cashier seeing what card type it is. It is only when a connection is made with the payment server that the screen will display the processors name, laser, visa debit ect...
    Regarding the statement you made "stores like Aldi and Lidl rely on technology, not people, to implement store policy when it comes to electronic payments"
    Staff in Lidl get training on card processing and the use of the card machines. The aim being that they can deal with situations such as payments not going through due to an out of date card, insufficient funds and so on or the customer trying to use a card that is not accepted (mastercard, visa ect..) The latter is provided because the machines will process CC payments but it is the company policy that CC as a payment method, is not accepted.

Captain Morgan, if you have an issue with a transaction in Lidl, you could give the customer service department a call, they may be able to help you or direct you to someone who could. Their contact details are 1800 347 447, Monday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Hope that helps.

enviro wrote: »
    See my post above... The card WILL work but is not accepted by the company. The payment will go through. I have seen it happen at least twice.

Ok, I admit I have never tried a CC in Lidl which is the discount store I use, I normally find it hard to spend more than €20 per visit so I always pay cash but this poster seems to disagree with you...
    alexmcred wrote: »
    I went to use a cc in Lidl by mistake before and the terminal rejected the transaction so I presume the terminals or they have a system setting to rject them. They do now take visa debit though

Ok, I admit I have never tried a CC in Lidl which is the discount store I use, I normally find it hard to spend more than €20 per visit so I always pay cash but this poster seems to disagree with you...

There are a number of reasons why the card may not have gone through, never ever seen a card rejected by a terminal based on the type of card it is. I have overseen thousands of card transactions and never once seen it. Reasons that the cards get rejected include; the pin is blocked, out of date card, insufficient funds, cancelled card ect... The machine won't specify exactly what the reason is.

As I said earlier I have seen a CC transaction go through, the merchant receipt doesn't lie. Although that was due to human error (The sales assistant not following the procedure that CC payment is not accepted by Lidl)

I accept what you say but find it strange that the payments processing company haven't simply been told to reject all credit cards when presented at the checkout.

The fact that the equipment isn't programmed to reject all credit cards outright suggests that the store envisages some circumstances when the checkout operator may be allowed to use discretion - perhaps if a Laser card is rejected because AIB or BOI's system is down then there is a fallback allowed to a CC for a customer with no cash?

Advertisement