Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The welcome...

Options
  • 16-12-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am so used to this now that I wonder if it is a general thing..

Coming home after a long day trading... Key in the door and on the other side, scrabbling of paws...

In, and wee dog bounces and leaps...It is impossible to pet her as that is an easy way to get a bruised or broken finger.

She is in the hall, while collie is in the kitchen, so I open the inner door and collie explodes into the hall... They greet each other loudly and effusively, and I manage to persuade them to go out to pee etc.

Short walk then as the car is unloaded and they disburden themselves.

Wee dog is presently obsessed by and fixated on the cupboard under the stairs. The combination of scent hound ( bassett) and terrier ( JRT) means that if there is any critter in that should not be in she will not give up.

So she is yipping and scrabbling while i sort their feed out. Collie has one idea and that is food, so she attaches to my heels, raising a paw to scrabble at whatever part of me she can reach, singing her song of hunger.

Then the cats, who have an upstairs window to use, decide they too are hungry and start racing up and down the top corridor, which has loose floorboards... Both dogs then decide to abandon their individual pursuits and unite in trying to get up the stairs, barking loud and long.

Many minutes later all are finally fed and I can make a cup of coffee..

Is it like this in every multi pet household?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Sounds like they just LOVE to see you coming home :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It's like this in our house with the 2 dogs, the cat frankly couldn't give a stuff if we're alive or dead as long as the food keeps coming!!

Younger dog literally shakes with excitement, I'm trying to get her out of the jumping up so I just stand still until she's calmer and when she sits then I greet her, older dog can't really jump up due to his dodgy leg but he wags his tail frantically and puts his head to one side and sort of smiles and I always give him a big kiss on his giant head cos he's so damn handsome!

You can't help but be cheered by their genuine happiness at the fact you're home, no matter how crap you might be feeling, there really is no greeting like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our two bark run to the side gate as soon as they hear the car. The little guy barks like mad, the bigger girl just sniffs and whines. Then as soon as I get into the house they are at the back door, banging on it, tails wagging like mad, big happy smiles. I let them in, try to clean their paws, as they jump all over me, again the small guy barking and doing little nips.
    I ignore them until the jumping and nipping stops, constantly saying "four feet" and "no bites" and as soon as they sit they get lots and lots of cuddles.
    In variably I then need to use the loo, which they now know at this stage. So up the stairs they run, I sit on loo, little guy jumps up on my knee to smoother me in kisses and bigger girl happily rubs up against my legs :rolleyes: No privacy allowed for at least 30 minutes after I get in.
    We are working on getting them to calm down, I just hate the leave them outside til their calm thing, as I want to see them as much as they want to see me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I get all that even if I've out for 30 seconds getting something from the car :p okay the reaction isn't quite so extreme as when we're gone for a while but literally anyone coming through the door no matter who they are or how long they've been out gets greeted with bouncy enthusiasm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh how we would miss them... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

My 2 go Nuts - act as if they havent seen us in years even if you go out to car for couple of mins!! Now tis grand with the smaller dog but with the bigger fella have been knocked flying a couple of times:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I rescued a mother cat who was badly starved, and she and her kittens lie in wait for me and wail when I get home... even though they still have food in their bowls. She is obsessed with harassing me for food and doesn't really do anything else - I guess you could call it a welcome:o

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Yup my 2 go nuts as well jumping all over the place and then fall over each other to get to the back door cus one wants a wee and the other knows she doesn't get fussed until outside otherwise she'll pee all over the house ... only time she does it and if you ignore her she holds on until outside. So we literally walk in the front door and out the back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

piperh wrote: »
    Yup my 2 go nuts as well jumping all over the place and then fall over each other to get to the back door cus one wants a wee and the other knows she doesn't get fussed until outside otherwise she'll pee all over the house ... only time she does it and if you ignore her she holds on until outside. So we literally walk in the front door and out the back :rolleyes:

This was my routine when I lived with just my pair, maybe I'm odd on this forum but I don't enjoy seeing my dogs all hyped up when I get home... I start to feel guilty that they must have been very lonely while I was away. I also don't ( personally) think that it is good for them to get that overwhelmed with emotion.

My formerly calm greeting from them went out the window when we moved in with my dad and his pair but I am working on this and do not acknowledge any of the dogs until they are calm. They are still thrilled to see me (and me them) but the mania is reducing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

my little guy is so happy when i come through the front door, whether i'm gone for hours or just minutes. he throws himself on the floor and his whole body literally shakes with excitment till he gets rubbed. if i walk past him he follows me and throws himself down in front of me again :D

• Advertisement

This was my routine when I lived with just my pair, maybe I'm odd on this forum but I don't enjoy seeing my dogs all hyped up when I get home... I start to feel guilty that they must have been very lonely while I was away. I also don't ( personally) think that it is good for them to get that overwhelmed with emotion.

My formerly calm greeting from them went out the window when we moved in with my dad and his pair but I am working on this and do not acknowledge any of the dogs until they are calm. They are still thrilled to see me (and me them) but the mania is reducing :)

No guilt needed. Dogs are very simple and passionate beings. They act as they feel...Wholehearted. No inhibitions. Pure adoration.

And the reaction also reflects the pent up energy they need to release.

Collie sometimes tries to bounce like wee dog does. Looks utterly ridiculous.. They soon calm. It is the same in the morning of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Whew, i'm not eating in your gaff. Is there not the awfuliest pong in there? Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

My girl is on high alert the minute she hears me on the way and then she runs at me and goes up on her hind paws like a kangaroo and starts jumping all over the place. She also appears to have a big smile on her face...the same one when she's out walking :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

headmaster wrote: »
    Whew, i'm not eating in your gaff. Is there not the awfuliest pong in there? Seriously.

Permanent ban issued.Youve already served two bans in animals and pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I get a very calm welcome home - lots of tail wagging and hand licking, if the dog is out the back when I get home though I have approximately 2 and half minutes to present myself to her or she starts giving out about it - 'Oi, you forgot to tell me your back, I'm out here!! I'M OUT HERE!!!!' (well that's what it sounds like to me anyway :p).

Let's see how all the hard work in establishing the calm welcome home holds up when I throw another dog into mix!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I get a very calm welcome home - lots of tail wagging and hand licking, if the dog is out the back when I get home though I have approximately 2 and half minutes to present myself to her or she starts giving out about it - 'Oi, you forgot to tell me your back, I'm out here!! I'M OUT HERE!!!!' (well that's what it sounds like to me anyway :p).

Let's see how all the hard work in establishing the calm welcome home holds up when I throw another dog into mix!.

I found with 2 dogs it was easy enough especially as 1 was already trained so the new guy followed her lead. When it came to adding 2 more into the mix it was a different story :(
    I am working on it but my dads pair are just so excitable that it is hard work, but i am making slow progress :)

I found with 2 dogs it was easy enough especially as 1 was already trained so the new guy followed her lead. When it came to adding 2 more into the mix it was a different story :(
    I am working on it but my dads pair are just so excitable that it is hard work, but i am making slow progress :)

Yep; "copydog"; collie sometimes tried to imitate wee dog, who has the back legs only bounce of the JRT. Looks bad enough in her as she is half basset, but the collie! Always trying to get petted FIRST!

Advertisement