Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate Energy Saving Light Bulbs!!!

Options
  • 16-12-2011 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just a quick note to see if anyone out there is of the same opinion as me on the thorny topic of energy saving light bulbs!!! I have changed these bulbs on atleast 2 occasions recently after having lasted only a few months, max! they do not seem to give off the same amount of light as the older style and my main issue: it takes a couple of seconds for them to light up... so for instance you are walking into an unlit room, on the way in you flick the switch... you are halfway through the room and the light still hasn't come on!! we are going backwards!! light at the flick of a switch is no more!!!... it baffles me how crappy products like this are commonplace and people are so docile they don't even notice... Don't get me started with new design can openers!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Agree with you totally, the price you pay for them is more than what you could save on your esb bill. There is a new energy saver bulb out now.It looks like the older style only difference is there is no tungsten filament, instead theres a capsule inside similar to car headlight bulb. They come in 42 watt bulb equivalent light of a 60 watt bulb and 72 watt equivalent of 104 watt bulb. Ill try find out more info. Think they are only about 2 or 3 euros. Oh yeah they come on instantly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Pop into Ikea - they do great value Energy Saving Bulbs and I've mine working the last year or so with no issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

They must be improving though?

Used to have awful ones that took ages to light up, expensive and ugly too.

Recently put in new philips ones we got 5 for €5, they light up almost instantly very brightly and aren't hard on the eyes either. Feels better using energy-saving too:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Don't get me started!

I have had no luck at all with energy saving (CFL) bulbs, I pay maybe €6 for a good one, it lasts 2 years.

Me - I wouldn't be upset if it takes the light a few seconds to come on but I get majorly pi$$ed of when a light fails.

I had one here that started smouldering and set off the smoke alarm.

With the increase in numbers sold I reckon the bulbs are now being manufactured in far away places and the quality has gone down.

Since last summer I've written the purchase date on eash bulb installed and kept the receipt along with any "3-year guarantee" or the likes from the mfr. And I'll be going for a refund if and when...

Per post above those traditional looking bulbs with a "halogen downlighter bulb" in the middle are nice and give a lovely light... but alas I've found they last as long as a downlighter bulb, which isn't long.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Cian A wrote: »
    They must be improving though?

Used to have awful ones that took ages to light up, expensive and ugly too.

Recently put in new philips ones we got 5 for €5, they light up almost instantly very brightly and aren't hard on the eyes either. Feels better using energy-saving too:P

Where are they available for 5 for €5 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

They had 5 for €5 in woodies a while back

This one I think and its variants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

I got 5 for €5 in Dunnes yesterday.

Advertisement